Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 660, Jem Gold >

Janome 660, Jem Gold

Janome 660, Jem Gold

Old 04-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Can anyone give me info on this machine? I used it in a class and loved it. I am new quilter so don't need anything fancy.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Janome 6600, i have it and i love it..approx cost $1,500
Jem gold, don't have that one but have the Platinum model around $500

i love them both. alot of the people here have one or the other, a couple of us have both.

i think the Gold runs around $300. and i belive they are retiring it..
www.janome.com
has the whole list of thier machines with all the features. the costs won't be listed though.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I have the older Janome Gem Gold. It's never given me a minute of trouble. It sews a nice seam and the feet are not expensive for it. It's perfect for taking to classes or moving around. I have two of them. My DD bought one too. She used it one time. Since they are self lubricating I knew the machine had to be run every so often so she brought it to my house. I take it to guild so the older members that can't tote in a big machine can use it. All those different people sewing on it and not one problem with it.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Thanks for info. I am going to try it again at the next quilt club meeting before I make up my mind but I am swaying in that direction.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I also have the Jem Platinum as my travel machine and love it...not a bit of trouble in the 5 years I've had it.

Don't forget to consider reconditioned/used machines from a good repair shop...you can get some amazing deals on great machines that way.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM

I have a Janome Jem Platinum which I take to classes and retreats. I love it. It works like a dream and I have never had a bit of problem with it except for the time I hit a pin and knocked off the timing, but once repaired it worked beautifully again. It's small and light enough to carry with you easily. I even took it on a driving trip from my home in Central Texas to Indianapolis where I took a class at a quilt shop while my husband was attending a convention. That was such fun and the Janome was perfect for that trip.

I have also given my two daughters each a Janome Jem Gold. Neither of them does much sewing, so didn't need a big fancy machine. These little machines are made well and can take on the jobs my daughters have, whether it be making curtains or repairing hems.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 AM

If you can afford the Jem Platinum, go for it. I was at a quilt festival last June and they were having a special on them, $439 plus they were throwing in the walking foot and some other feet, so it was a really good deal. We called two ladies from our quilt group and ended up bringing 2 Jem Platinums home with us for them!

Janome is having new machines come out on May 1st, so maybe the Platinums will come down even more after the new machines are launched. Actually, you might like one of the new machines that's coming out, because it's a lightweight model.

Oh yes, and like the other ladies, I absolutely love my Jem! :D
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

I am assuming the Gem Platinum is a bigger machine or possible heavy duty? I do not know much about sewing machines -- or quilting, for that matter. Brand new learner. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by GloryBee
I am assuming the Gem Platinum is a bigger machine or possible heavy duty? I do not know much about sewing machines -- or quilting, for that matter. Brand new learner. Thanks for all the help.
The Jem Gold and Gem Platinum are both small size machines designed for travel, taking to class, etc. the platinum is about 12 pounds, and I think the gold is also but not positive. They all have several decorative stitches, have the ability to drop feed dogs for free motion work, and the routine functions of all sewing machines. since they are small and the throat space is small, they are not very good for free motion quilting on large projects... but do a great job on small projects or class exercises. I have a larger Elna for most of my home sewing (set up in front of the TV!), but have my Janome set up as well for different threads, etc. when I have multiple projects going.