Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 Demo Tomorrow - Advice? >

Janome 6600 Demo Tomorrow - Advice?

Janome 6600 Demo Tomorrow - Advice?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Janome 6600 Demo Tomorrow - Advice?

Halp! I've never demo'd a sewing machine before. The only one I've ever purchased for myself was my Featherweight, which I found at an estate sale in thankfully good condition. But there's a Janome dealer about an hour away that just received a great condition trade-in 6600 from someone who upgraded and I'm getting there bright and early tomorrow to test it out.

What should I pay attention to, in terms of both the machine and the dealer? I've heard good things about both.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

It helps to bring your own fabrics. Dealer-supplied fabrics are always chosen to make sure stitching is perfect, so they are usually heavily starched. I would also bring a practice quilt square basted in your usual manner to try out quilting with the built-in walking foot and also FMQ.

For me, the sound of the machine is important. My Bernina just sort of purrs; I don't like a machine that makes clunky sounds!

I would try out a few of the decorative stitches too.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Thank you for your advice, Prism!

The demo went very well. I enjoyed using the machine, I had no problem with threading or changing feet (or anything, really), and I fell in love. The dealer was also extremely kind, patient, and happy to explain every little thing I could think to ask. What a wonderful experience! And I know from searching this board that $1000 for the machine and all relevant attachments/parts/accessories was a price that couldn't be beat.

I just wish I could be home playing with her right now instead of working until 10PM!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Sounds like she has a new home. Congratulations and happy quilting!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Hello everyone ... this is my first post here and am learning a lot just lurking!!! lol

I am in need of a new sewing machine (I have a Bernina 730 Record ~ 43 yrs. old); and would like to upgrade. Loving all the features on the new machines. I haven't sewn in awhile and want to get into machine quilting.

And I did look at the Janome 6600 just today. It's a beautiful machine .... and I am going back to the store on Thursday to compare this one and the Janome 4120 QDC. Will make my decision then. I see most everyone loves that 6600, but it looks a little complicated

Well, compared to my machine, which still sews pretty good, but absolutely think I need to upgrade!!

jody
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM

I have the Janome 6600....love it to bits...a real workhorse....only issue I have is the paint scratches and it is really heavy to lift.....if you can live with that this is the best machine you'll find for your money at the moment IMHO ....sews like a dream....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 AM

I also have a 6600.. I was not able to take much more Than the basic how to thread it class and find it quite easy to use. Walking foot system is easy and great to use.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO View Post
I have the Janome 6600....love it to bits...a real workhorse....only issue I have is the paint scratches and it is really heavy to lift.....if you can live with that this is the best machine you'll find for your money at the moment IMHO ....sews like a dream....
The paint's a little scratched on the front from the previous owner already, but nothing serious. And I don't mind hefting it around.

When do you find yourselves most often use the walking foot? And are there any additional accessories you'd recommend getting right off the bat?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 AM

I have the 6600 too. Came with all the feet and the knee lifter which I haven't used. I have an emotional attachement to my sewing desk and it won't work on it. I'm sitting at the same sewing desk I learned to sew at with my mom for a teacher almost 60 years ago! I love my 6600 and found it very user friendly. If you didn't get the extension table with it I would suggest that. I never sew without mine.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 AM

I have a 6600 and absolutely love this machine - it is a workhorse. The AccuFeed system is a great feature on this machine. You won't be sorry.....