Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 Help Please with feed dogs >

Janome 6600 Help Please with feed dogs

Janome 6600 Help Please with feed dogs

Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Janome 6600 Help Please with feed dogs

I have a Janome 6600 (have had it for two years) and have never had a problem. All of a sudden this afternoon I started having a problem with it feeding the fabric. I am only sewing two layers of cotton (foundation and strips). All of a sudden the feed dogs were down and I couldn't get them back up. After playing with the lever on the under side....moving it back and forth many times....the feed dogs came up but then they go back down in a little bit they go back down. I have tried everything from changing needle, bobbin, rethreading, etc. etc.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be. And of all times, I am supposed to leave Wed afternoon for a four day quilt retreat. I need help.

Thanks for looking. Pat
Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM

It sounds like the lever on the inside of the case isn't staying in position. You might tape in place an object like a thick washer or a chunk of a clothes pin on each side of the lever in the position that it is suppose to be in. Use duct tape to hold securely. Maybe it will tide you over until after the retreat. You could call Janome and ask them if there is something they can suggest that you could do and still be able to use your machine for the retreat. I have the same machine.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM

I hope eastermarie's idea works for you - I know how frustrating it can be to have our machines do strange things I have the same machine so would be interested in learning how you come out with this.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Did you try sewing after you put the feed dogs up? My Janome's feed dogs don't really go up until I start sewing. When I flip the switch they don't immediately go up so you can see the change.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by VaQuiltgal View Post
Did you try sewing after you put the feed dogs up? My Janome's feed dogs don't really go up until I start sewing. When I flip the switch they don't immediately go up so you can see the change.
Yes, I did try sewing when the feed dogs were up. What happens is that if I am just sewing two thin strips together it works okay. But then when I was trying to sew binding on a quilt the fabric will not move AT ALL. I even put the quilting foot on with the extra help of the lever that comes down from the back - I never need to use that even when I am sewing heavy tote bags and purses. That gem of a machine sews all thinknesses of fabric like a charm.......until now.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Just a thought...I suppose you have taken the needle plate off and cleaned around the bobbin area and the feed dogs? If that's not the problem it sounds like you may need to have it looked at
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2 View Post
Just a thought...I suppose you have taken the needle plate off and cleaned around the bobbin area and the feed dogs? If that's not the problem it sounds like you may need to have it looked at
Thanks, but yes, I have taken it off about a half dozen times and cleaned and just about stood on my head trying to see if I can see any thread or anything stuck somewhere in there.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Pat, I have had something similar happen to me when sewing a binding. I've noticed that if I use the built in walking foot it sometimes does not "grab" the fabric - I had success by trimming the batting and backing very close to the seam so that the walking foot rests on the feeddog itself. I had this happen when using a poly type batting that is slippery - no problems with warm and natural.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Well, I think I am fine....have my fingers crossed...leaving for retreat tomorrow afternoon. I really can't tell you what the problem was but it seems to be fine now. I'm not sure which is worse...computers or sewing machines when it comes to having a mind of their own.

I'd love for you all to come along on the retreat...there's always room for a few more. Then if I have any problems I have all of you to help. This board is the greatest.

Pat
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Have a great time on your retreat. I hope your machine doesn't act up while you're there. I hate it when that happens