Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 Noisy -- Oil Wick? >

Janome 6600 Noisy -- Oil Wick?

Janome 6600 Noisy -- Oil Wick?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Janome 6600 Noisy -- Oil Wick?

My wife has had a Janome 6600 for about four months, and it has done this from day one: when it first starts to sew, it makes this kind of groaning noise when it just starts to move. Once it gets in motion it sounds normal. We have read about the oil wick under the bobbin case, and it is nice and wet. My wife is extremely fastidious and keeps the bobbin area very clean and changes the needle on every project, so I don't think it is a lint problem.

In examining the wick, I note that the top of the wick is about ⅛ inch below the top of the hole. I haven't been able to find out just what this wick is lubricating; the bottom of the bobbin case, or something underneath the whole assembly. If it is the bobbin case, then I would think the wick should sit up high enough to actually touch the case, but the way it is now, that could never happen. So my question is, should I pull the wick up enough to touch the bottom of the bobbin case, or leave it where it is? Thanks much.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 AM

I also have a 6600 and the wick does sit below. I find that even though the wick is "wet", I still oil it after every other bobbin to every 2 bobbins. This helps with the "noise" level of the machine. Hope this helps.

Christina
Old 06-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Try one drop of oil but don't overdo it. This machine does not like a lot of oil.
I oil mine once a year...or when it starts getting noisy.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

there is a yahoo group dedicated to janome 6600. might want to ask there too.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Most electronic machines start with a groaning sound. Every time the machine is turned on and when it takes the first stitch, the 2 stepping motors reset themselves. That's a normal occurance. The wick oils what is below the bobbin area, and normally sits below the top of the hole. The bobbin case is plastic, so doesn't need oil.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 PM

Have you taken it in for service? There are a lot of moving parts in the top of the machine that have to be moved. Your take up lever, the needle bar, use oil. If the machine is groaning it means it is struggling to make something move. Have her assist it by gently turning the hand wheel toward her as she is depressing the foot controller until the machine gets over the" hump". If this aleviates the groaning, the machine really should be taken in for a good oiling.