Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 ? and other stuff >

Janome 6600 ? and other stuff

Janome 6600 ? and other stuff

Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 AM

Default Janome 6600 ? and other stuff

My machine started squeaking last nite and started making a bumping noise. These machines don't need oiled, do they? I'm going to clean it and change the needle and see if that helps. It might need a trip to the doctor.

Also wanted to tell you that I finished a twin size quilt using 505 spray and aurifil thread. I'm SOLD on both products. The 505 was ordorless, went together fast and held well. The aurifil made my seams lay flatter and I was able to straight line quilt the entire quilt with ONE bobbin. I'd be a happy gigi if my machine wasn't worrying me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 AM

505 is Awesome. BUT my long arm HATES, Aurifil thread. It will not sew with it. I have an APQS that works wonderful otherwise. It's my guess that it's to fine.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Well, I double posted, sort of.

Linda, it is fine thread. I used 50 wt that was recommended to me. I can understand it not working well with a long arm, but for piecing it's wonderful.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 AM

YES! It is supposed to have the wick (beneath the bobbin case) oiled REGULARLY! Go online and look up the 6600, there are videos showing exactly what to do with your machine...this is IMPERATIVE. It is probably dry as a bone and you coujld wreck it if you don't do this right away!. Take out your bobbin and the bobbin case, first remove the plate...you will see a wick in the center...put oil in there. You should be checking the wick for oil by poking it with a seam ripper or something and seeing if it shines...if not, oil it. I hope you have not damaged your machine...they are such wonderful machines.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM

OMG! I'm stunned! I had NO idea! Stoopid, stoopied! Tks, Michelle. What kind of oil do I use?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM

there is so much controversy about this...i am so surprised...the wick and any metal to metal contact should be oiled...it cannot hurt...there is lightweight machine oil out there...do not use a gun oil or hardware store brand as it is too thick...i oil my wick & the shaft of my presser foot every 5 bobbins...i have a 6600 also and am surprised at how dusty the bobbin case becomes...i now have a system where i wind 5 bobbins at a time...when i run out of them, i stop, take the machine apart & clean...i find that cheap watercolor brushes from the dollar store are great for getting into the crevices under & around the bobbin case...plus, being plastic they dont break off any pieces which may fall into the enclosed area...when they get out of shape, just toss them...they are cheap enuf...dont use any canned air...it contains moisture...its best to get out as much lint as possible...then oil the wick and sew for a few lines onto some scrap fabric...even the area where the lightbulb is should get dusted once in a while....monica in tx with her 4th janome...(i like my 7500 better than the 6600)...its a little 'fussy'...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Use only sewing machine oil. WalMart and your LQS carry it. Anything else can gum up your machine.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM

My Janome 6500 needs that same oil wick oiled regularly or the machine jumps and bangs so hard that it can displace the bobbin case which is exactly what happened before I found out about that **** oil wick. No where in my Janome 6500 manual did it talk about this and my dealer assured me that no oiling was needed. They were both wrong. My sewing machine needle went right through the bobbin case and ruined it and my dealer charged me to replace it, calling it operator error. Guess who won't buy another new machine from that dealer?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the tip, Gigi! Haven't used Aurefil thread, but will try it. I've used another brand of basting spray but when it's done I'll try the 505.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

The right tools make all the difference. I love Aurifil thread for piecing also. I bought a can of the 505 and plan to use it soon due to all the rave reviews on QB.