Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 8900 Horizon -  skipped stitches and thread torn >

Janome 8900 Horizon - skipped stitches and thread torn

Janome 8900 Horizon - skipped stitches and thread torn

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 AM

Unhappy Janome 8900 Horizon - skipped stitches and thread torn

Has anyone had a problem with thread tearing and skipped stitches on the Janome 8900.
I had it in the shop 3 times, they tell me nothing is wrong, first they said to change needles to # 18 (!)
than they told me # 12-14 , they told me I should use Guetermann or Mettler thread, I did all that , changing needles, thread, checking bobbins, I am at my wits end. Did anyone have a problem with this with this machine. Appreciate any ideas.
The machine is till under warranty, yet my dealer tells me nothing is wrong with it. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 AM

Perhaps you need to take it back to your dealer and actually sit down and sew with it in front of them so they can see what you are doing and what the problem is. Sometimes it's just something little that we are doing wrong. And once they "fix" it be sure to re-thread it and re-insert the bobbin and sew something with it before you take it home. It could just be a lemon that they don't want to exchange because of the cost to themselves.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with alleyoop1. I would take it back and see if you can make it fail while there. (Of course it probably won't!). If nothing else have them watch while you thread it and verify the thread path.
How/what are you sewing when the breakage occurs? Just piecing? FMQ? Embroidering?
Another thing you might want to try before that: lowering the thread tension a bit. Skipped stitches is often a needle problem, as is shredding so I can see why they suggested the needle changes, but sounds like there's something else too.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-22-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM

I would call the shop and make an appointment to set down with someone to assist you with the machine. Have them watch you make a bobbin, thread the machine, insert the bobbin and sew. From what I read in you post it sounds like you are putting the bobbin in upside down, or using the wrong bobbin. Most dealers offer free classes with your machine, inquire to see if that is available.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM

I agree with alleyoop. Especially if you haven't had the machine very long; you might be doing some small thing wrong while threading it, or have something just slightly out of alignment...

When I bought my very first machine I kept threading the needle backwards and had a heck of a time trying to figure out why my brand new machine was such a piece of junk - it would stitch a couple stitches then break the thread and/or make all these crazy knots and get jammed. I went over the manual step by step and still didn't catch my error, so of course none of my troubleshooting did any good. I worked myself up into tears and was completely miserable over it. (I was pretty poor at the time and that cheap, bottom-of-the-line machine was a hefty investment for me.) I finally took it in to return it (to Sears) and they showed me my mistake. There was nothing at all wrong with the machine, I was just making a very simple error. I'm very grateful they took the time to check it with me instead of just taking the return; that experience might have turned me off of sewing otherwise! (And I still have that cheap, bottom-of-the-line machine and it STILL sews great, despite years of neglect and ignorant abuse by yours truly!)

I hope your problems are just as easy to solve.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:08 AM

i would also encourage you to take it back and show them the problem. I use a variety of needles, depending on what i'm doing, a variety of thread (gutermann cotton and polyester/ king tut cotton/aurifill cotton) and have no problem at all. the only issue i've had is when i didn't realize my leg was ever so slightly touching/moving the knee lifter. I was ready to bring the machine back until I realized it was the 'nut next to the knee lifter'........ :-)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gaby View Post
Has anyone had a problem with thread tearing and skipped stitches on the Janome 8900.
I had it in the shop 3 times, they tell me nothing is wrong, first they said to change needles to # 18 (!)
than they told me # 12-14 , they told me I should use Guetermann or Mettler thread, I did all that , changing needles, thread, checking bobbins, I am at my wits end. Did anyone have a problem with this with this machine. Appreciate any ideas.
The machine is till under warranty, yet my dealer tells me nothing is wrong with it. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas
check the responses listed on here in Nov 14. put janome 8900 in the advanced search. momto Alaina or something like that had a problem, and it appears from the responses it was the brand of needle causing it. IDK, just reading it then and now.
hope you resolve this soon, it is so annoying I know. Juanita
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I think this may be the thread that includes information about needle brands to use:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t245056.html
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 AM

Thank you. This has been very helpful.