Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 8900 Problem >

Janome 8900 Problem

Janome 8900 Problem

Old 12-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Default Janome 8900 Problem

I bought my 8900 on November 30 and have been LOVING it. I am currently on a time crunch as I need to have a OBW completed for tomorrow and a quilt and table runner completed for Christmas.

All has been perfect with my machine until this morning, of course.

Since I can't FMQ yet, I was playing with some of the decorative stitches to run down the binding. All was fine for 6, but then I switched to the 7th and ended up with a nest in my bobbin case. I cleaned that out and tried again, and got the same nest.

At this point, I removed the needle plate and bobbin case. Took the brush and canned air and cleaned all out. Put the bobbin case back in, put the needle plate back on, switched the foot to a straight stitch foot and tried again. No luck. Tried to bring the bobbin thread to the top, and all I get is a nest. Changed the bobbin and rethreaded twice, and I'm still getting a nest.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Many thanks in advance since I don't want to finish this quilt on my Pfaff.

Lynda
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Have you tried turning it off, let it set a few min. then turn it back on? I have had a couple of odd problems with mine and tried this, it 's like it needs to reboot. good luck, hope you get it going again.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:40 AM

This might sound silly, but try turning your bobbin over. I tried this once and it worked for me. Don't understand why, it just did.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

First, rethread using different color thread in the top and bobbin to make sure the thread nest is bobbin thread. Often, it's the top thread that's the issue even though it winds up in the bobbin area. If it is the top thread, rethread making sure that the presser foot is up when you go thru the tension discs so the thread seats correctly. put the foot down when you get to the needle and make sure there's tension on the top thread. If no tension, you either missed the tension discs or there's fluff caught between them. If the latter, you need to get some strong thread and floss.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Another suggestion, be careful with the canned air. It can blow things around under your machine and cause more problems.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Another suggestion, be careful with the canned air. It can blow things around under your machine and cause more problems.
BE CAREFUL OF USING CAN AIR!! I used it for many years and found out that there is moisture in the can so I had to replace my entire bobbin case on my Bernina 1530 because it had started to rust.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM

I agree with turning it off and letting it rest. I also would caution against canned air blowing thing where they shouldn't go.

I have 8900 and love it. I did have some problems with skipped stitches and it turned out to be the blue batik fabric I was sewing. It took a bit and much frustration before I figured it out. I switched to a microtex needle and that solved that problem.

I also had problems with my thread breaking. I found out it wasn't the machine but rather the thread was catching on a burr on the end of the spool and since this machine has a horizontal spool position every so often as it passed over that part of the spool it would catch and break. I turned the spool around and problem solved.

Make sure your bobbin is in the correct position. It's easy to put it in backward. Follow the little picture on the plastic cover.

If you changed the needle make sure the new one is inserted right. The flat part goes to the back.

If you have more than one machine that take different bobbins make sure you have the correct bobbin.

It's easy to get stressed out and frustrated when something doesn't go right, especially when you're working on a deadline. Relax and systematically go through things. I'm sure it is something that can be resolved. I've had very few issues with my machine.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:43 AM

After I panicked and posted here, my husband fiddled with the machine and I did not have the bobbin case quite in place. Working like a charm now. Since this was my first problem since getting the machine, I was getting very concerned that I would have to finish the quilt on my Pfaff.

I did not know that about using canned air on machines. Had no idea that things could rust. Will not do that again.

Thank you everyone,

Lynda
Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Maybe you need a new needle...maybe a different type.
What type and size needle are you using? And what thread?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
BE CAREFUL OF USING CAN AIR!! I used it for many years and found out that there is moisture in the can so I had to replace my entire bobbin case on my Bernina 1530 because it had started to rust.
I agree with you. There is a liquid in canned air and if you don't hold the can upright
which is usually the case if you are trying to spray inside a sewing machine...chances
are you will be spraying liquid instead of air. Better to avoid using it. Easier to use
a pipe cleaner.