Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Bobbins >

Janome Bobbins

Janome Bobbins

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Boy oh boy...do I need help and advice. In August I purchased a Janome 3160 QDC. It is a wonderful machine with such features as needle threader and cutting thread feature which really sold me on the machine. I have had so much trouble with the bobbin casing and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble. I have had it changed once and now it is acting up again. It seems the bobbin giggles all around and is quite noisy...I just stopped right in my tracks and will again have to take it in again to be looked at. Wondering...with all those features...did I not spend enough money and am looking for it to perform like a very expensive machine...anybody having problems??
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM

are you positive you have the correct bobbin? are you positive you have it loaded the right direction in the machine, if the thread isn't comming off in the right place/direction, the machine aint gonna be happy
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

the place you bought the machine should give you correct bobbins. if you still have trouble, i'd ask for another machine in it's place.
i buy all my clear bobbins where i bought my machine.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I have already had to replace the bobbin casing, due to the fact that it was not threaded properly thru the uplift lever, my fault which I am so super aware of each time I sew. I don't know what the heck is going on now.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM

I had a similar problem with my Janome 6500 and it turned out I had somehow gotten a Brother bobbin mixed in with my Janome bobbins. There is just enough difference to create terrible problems! Just a thought.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM

scowlkat....thanks so much I am off to Joann's tomorrow to
see if they sell them for the Janome
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Beebee
scowlkat....thanks so much I am off to Joann's tomorrow to
see if they sell them for the Janome

no, you need to go to the dealer, or buy them on line..they are totally different, than clear class 15 bobbins sold at JA's. they may look the same, but they are not. you will wear the bobbin racer out.uneven wear.

there is guy i bought mine from, on ebay. if you want the name of the place, let me know...
Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 PM

I had a bobbin do that...discovered it wobbled in the casing too much. Someone on the board said that if you wind those plastic bobbins at high speed, they heat up and change in size. She had a technician tell her that. Since then, I've slowly loaded the bobbin and I haven't had the problem again!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM

You need a plastic, class 15 bobbin. Many of the other bobbins are too small, short or shaped differently and will cause the shake in the bobbin case.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM

I had exactly the same problem with my Janome 6500. It jumped and rattled so badly that I ended up putting the needle right through the case and had to replace it. My dealer was no help and kept claiming it was operator error (which it wasn't!!!). Finally after joining the Jamone 6500/6600 forum, I found out that there is a small oiling spot under the removable bobbin case. It's a small hole filled with a wick (looke like felt and it's not lint) that sometimes dries out and needs a drop of oil once in awhile when it gets noisy. Oil it when the bobbin starts to rattle and no more trouble! Nowhere in the manuel does it mention this spot and my dealer seemed to know nothing about it. My friend had a Janome Gem with the same noisy bobbin case. Same oil wick spot on her machine and a drop of oil solved her problem too. It could be a mis-shapen bobbin but I bet it's the dried out oil wick. Good luck with this.