Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome FMQ tension >

Janome FMQ tension

Janome FMQ tension

Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 AM

OK, so I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my Janome 4800 because when doing FMQ, there were always loops on the back, except possibly if the tension was set on no.9. Now there are loops on the front except possibly if the tension is set on no.1.... :( Do Janome not know the concept of the happy medium..! I may have to take a screwdriver to the bobbin case tension, but before I do that, I'd be grateful for any comments or advice that anyone can offer. I should add that I really don't think these problems are my incompetence - or not just that, anyway - as I've produced perfectly adequate FMQ on other machines.
I was using a top stitch needle and Janome embroidery thread top and bottom.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 AM

Sorry I do not have a solution for your problem. But just to add that I'm also having the same problem with my Janome 6260! Irregardless of what tension I use, the bobbin thread always shows on the top. So yes, I do suspect this is the problem with Janome machines too. The funny thing is, when I brought my machine to the service centre recently, I highlighted this to them, they put the tension on auto and it was okay! Really, really weird....as it doesn't work at home for me. The saleslady however, did mention that it's sometimes due to a faulty darning foot.

I would like to hear too what solutions fellow forumers have on this issue.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 AM

I used my blue bobbin case for the first time...I did something wrong...now my bobbin will not move. My husband bought it to the dealers yesterday. I have FMQ'd with out it with no issue...not sure if I am going to use the blue bobbin case again...its a pain to unscrew the plate. It worked great without it so unless there is really a huge difference I will skip it in the future. - I did find using Quilting needles were very helpful, made a huge difference. I just use the auto tension and keep the dogfeed up.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:17 AM

I did find using Quilting needles were very helpful, made a huge difference. I just use the auto tension and keep the dogfeed up.[/quote]

When FMQ'ing the feeddogs should be down.

I really wish I could assist with the blue bobbin. I have a 6600 and haven't used a blue bobbin with it. I use my reg. bobbin and set my tension on 6 and have been good to go.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 AM

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...on-filler.html - I have been following and learning from Leah Day who has a 7700 - she keeps her dog feeds up when FMQ'ing. It works...and looks great. I have made several this way.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 AM

get out the manual and make sure you have done everything on the 'list' to FMQ. I usually forget one of the steps.....
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM

I have had similar problems and have had conversations with Janome, via facebook. I can honestly say I am very disappointed with their customer service. To my way of thinking, if the machine is advertised to "quilt' ( mine is a Quilt/Decor) it should do just that. Having to buy the blue dot bobbin case should not have been the solution, it should have been included in the machine package. I bought it, but still have problems. I do not think it is my incompetence either, my 40 year old Brother machine does the job just fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Have u checked with your dealer? I didn't mean that it was in any way incompetance. I used to be a dealer and still had to get the manual out and check each item on the list.....
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Btw what does the blue dot bobbin case do?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 AM

The blue dot bobbin case is supposed to have a factory-set tension for free motion quilting.