Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon 7700 QCP >

Janome Horizon 7700 QCP

Janome Horizon 7700 QCP

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the link - Leah Day's endorsement of the Horizon helped me make up my mind!

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...on-update.html
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

I don't have a Horizon, I haven't even sewn on it for fear of the "coup de foudre" (clap of thunder in French)-love at first site. But I read the yahoo group digest on it daily and all the QB and patternreview.com threads I find. It seems to me that Janome not only acknowledges, but rectifies, quality control issues. Several owners had their machines entirely replaced at no cost when they had recurring problems. They have a fix for the foot issue and the single hole plate. The newest machines just come with the fixes, but there are still many earlier-run machines on dealer shelves. A scenario I have often read, is that the local dealer kept hemming and hawing about a problem, then the owner got fed up and contacted Janome directly and got a prompt solution. Also some dealers are keeping themselves more informed and saavy than others. I wouldn't hesitate to buy at the right price, knowing the company is behind the machine, but I just got a used Bernina 440 at a great price (which is amazing and very quiet, even at high speed, btw) and have enough <ahem> machines for the moment. My dealer is still at full price on the Horizon, which is better for my bank account right now anyway.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM

I have had mine for 4 months now and like it more each time I use it. It makes a nice stitch and is quiet. My only complaint is about the built in walking foot. I find it awkward to change back to the regular foot.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
The fabric gets stuck in the plate more than seems normally, the bobbin goes nuts with its running low and there is no warning when its out. It does not like thick seams....like bindings.(I never had a problem doing thick seams with my Kenmore) Most of the time I can get it to keep going. I am a fairly new sewer and do not know alot about the machine so maybe I am doing something wrong. I also still do not get the single hole plate. I do like how I can FMG a queen quilt with no problems...
Try to work out the single hole plate if you're getting fabric stuck in the hole. I don't bother to use the single hole myself most of the time but it's good to have it in case.

With the bobbin, make sure the little tail that you hold when you start winding the bobbin is trimmed right back. When the bobbin gets low, that tail can get caught and twisted with the thread that comes off as you are sewing (I had this happen)

What foot are you using that it gets stuck on? Do you have the new O2 foot. And have you tried the Accufeed feet? I simply love the accufeed system. There are additional feet you can buy..like the Accufeed 1/4" foot. Also, try sewing with less pressure on the presser foot. I sew generally with it on about 3 or 4.

Also, anyone with this machine, or contemplating getting it, can join the Yahoo JanomeHorizon 7700 group. It's a great group and there's lots and lots of information and help there. I joined before I bought my machine.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Thank you to everyone who has been kind enough to give me their feedback about this machine. I tried it out this morning and like it but am not crazy about it. I am going to try out a 6600 just for comparison.If anyone cares to comment on their 6600 I would be happy to hear from you.
Thanks again, Carol