Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - HELP! - Part 2 >

Janome Horizon - HELP! - Part 2

Janome Horizon - HELP! - Part 2

Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 AM

Rather than continue this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-160867-1.htm where so many have offered help, I thought I'd just start a new topic.

I tried pretty much everything suggested for my problems and yesterday, I went off to my dealer to make sure this wasn't something I was doing. I didn't take my machine as that is a really major effort for me (think heavy machine, bad back, and stairs) but I took my quilt sandwiches, thread, bobbins, etc. and spent about an hour with the dealer. My FMQ there was just fine. I picked up some hints that will be helpful in the future.

Sadly, when I got home I still had problems. This time, it is the top thread keeps breaking and I get long skipped stitches. I'm going to try that again today to be sure it isn't me going too fast. I will try different thread, needle, and speeds. :)

My dealer was very nice and helpful, sat with me the entire time with no interruptions, and told me to call if I had more problems and maybe they could walk me through it.

So, while my UFOs remain UFOs, I'm feeling a little more optimistic now.

And I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 AM

I suggest that first you make yourself a small quilt sandwich with the same materials & batting that are included in the quilt your are trying to quilt. Make sure that your bobbin thread is coming off in the counter clockwise direction. You said you are using King Tut thread, which is a 40wt 3 ply. Are you also using a 50wt bobbin thread? That is what Superior Thread recommends. Also, they recommend a Topstitch 90/14 needle. The needle has a longer eye so that the thread moves freely through it. Your top tension should range between 3.0 & 4.0. I am sure that you are using a free motion foot, dropped the feed dogs, or at least covered them up with a index card taped to the bed of machine, (then you don't have to drop the feed dogs) (I do it and it works better for me)you should then practice on you small quilt sandwich. If all this fails to fix the problem I would suggest you pack up that heavy machine (I know I also have the Horizon) and take it back to the dealer and show them what it is NOT doing correctly. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:48 AM

I forgot to ask if your cone of King Tut thread is placed on a vertical thread stand. It will not come off the cone correctly if placed in the horizontal spool pin on the top of the machine. Cones of thread must have the thread come off them from above, if not they may catch and cause tension problems and breakage. I purchased the spool holder that attaches to the back of my Horizon, much nicer than the cheap plastic one I had been using. Just another suggestion.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 AM

The thread breaking and long skipped stitches might be a thread/needle combo problem. It might also be your batting. Some battings have a top and bottom side and if you're trying to quilt it bottom up it can be problematic.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM

What kind of needle are you using and is it in properly? Is the bobbin in correctly so that the thread end is heading to your right when you pull on it before running through the little guide? Rethread your machine using the book for each step. Is there lint build up in your bobbin area?
Not sure what else it could be, so would suggest bringing it in and letting them determine and ask that they do everything with you watching so to help you in the future. Good luck and I feel your frustration. HUGS
Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm using the exact same sandwich I had at the dealer. As to thread/needle. I'm using the Topstitch 90/14 recommended by Superior. I have King Tut top and bottom, which the dealer said was just fine - I'll switch the bobbin out today for Bottom Line or So Fine and see what happens.

Tension is set on auto which is the recommended and what we were using on the dealer's machine.

Have tried feed dogs dropped and feed dogs covered.

And I haven't graduated to cones of thread yet. :)

I'll be trying some other options today.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 AM

And I haven't graduated to cones of thread yet.

If you are using the cross wound spools of King Tut they should still be used on an upright spool holder just like a cone. If used on the horizontal pin holder the thread will come off sort of spiral like (twisted) and could still cause thread problems.
Just because the machine at the shop worked with the thread tension on Auto, that does not mean that yours will.
Remember that you are the Master of your Machine, don't let it get the best of you! You will prevail!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 AM

A friend of mine who owns a LQS and has used many different machines came over today. She thinks I need to haul it back to the dealer - so I will be doing that sometime in the next week. Probably next Saturday. :(