Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome or Juki, need opinions >

Janome or Juki, need opinions

Janome or Juki, need opinions

Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 PM

I have a Juki 2010 and she is Awesome! I used for FMQ and straight stitching.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I love my Juki 2010Q! It makes sewing and quilting a pleasure.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 AM

I've had my Juki 2010Q for a bit over a year. In that time, I've put together about 40 tops, and not been unhappy with it's performance. I've not done any FMQ on it as I have a LA for quilting. Love it for putting on machine bindings, I no longer pin anything.

I thought I would not like the needle down, but it turns out to be a non-issue. When I chain stitch, it's better to stop down, and when I don't, I usually use the thread cutter and that brings the needle up. Not a problem to push the needle up the few times I need it up and not cut the thread.

The knee lift for the presser foot is the main reason I bought a new machine. Would not want a machine for peicing that did not have that function.

I put extra lights on mine and a clear marked plastic over the bed. The one thing that bothered me was that sometimes seams would catch on the edge of the throat plate, and now that never happens. I have it cut so it does not interfere with changing bobbins, and I can easily untape it from the machine and remove the extension bed for servicing. It stays taped to the bed, so it's in the correct position when I put it back.

Love, love, love the machine!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:53 AM

Another Juki 2010 owner here, love my machine! She's sturdy and heavy and eats bag layers for breakfast! the walking foot that comes with her sucks though, I ended up buying a Janome high shank walking foot. I never thought I'd use the speed control but I love it for FMQ. Brother 1500 is a metal straight stitcher and it's a bit cheaper, it's an excellent machine too. I think Janome and Singer also make metal straight stitchers. I went with the Juki cause I've had a Juki serger for a decade and its never given me any trouble.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011 View Post
I just traded in the Juki 200QI for a king quilter I was not happy with the Juki 2000 QI the neck I think that's what they called it was just to darn small for FMQ...Other than that it was OK....
This may be the case if you are trying to quilt on a frame--since the quilt gets rolled up inside the throat when frame quilting, the actual quilting space front to back limits the size of motif you can use. However, for sit down quilting, the Juki or the Janome both have enough throats space to FMQ large quilts just fine. I have the PQ1500s which is the same size as the two the OP mentioned and I've found the space to be plenty big enough to do all sizes of quilts-- the secret is to squish your quilt into the throat rather than rolling it and to have good support to your left and behind the machine so the quilt doesn't hang off the table and cause drag. The only size quilt I haven't done on my machine is a King sized and that's just because I haven't made a top that big.

Rob
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 PM

I have the Juki 2000qi and love it. I got mine thru Amazon, very reasonable, came with feet, ext. table cover and I believe extra needles
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM

I had the Juki 98TL for years and loved it. But I thought I had too many machines (ahem) so I gave the 98TL to my daughter, who loves it. Even though I have a number of machines, I missed the simplicity and power of the Juki, so several months ago I bought a Juki 2000Qi. It's love all over again! I think I'll hang on to it. I used it this week on a church project where we were sewing several layers of plastic tarp material and the Juki handled it like a pro!
Old 04-15-2017, 04:31 PM

I have the 2010 and love it. I don't need any fancy stitches and if I do, I still have my Elna.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:56 AM

If you plan to do FMQ down the road, go with a machine that has a larger throat (harp area). I have a Janome 6600P with a larger throat area and love it. I have never sewn on a Juki so can't compare with my Janome. My advice try each one at a dealer and see what feels best to you. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
If you plan to do FMQ down the road, go with a machine that has a larger throat (harp area). I have a Janome 6600P with a larger throat area and love it. I have never sewn on a Juki so can't compare with my Janome. My advice try each one at a dealer and see what feels best to you. Good luck.
I agree Karamarie ! I love my Janome 6600 and wouldn't change it. Certainly try a test drive.