Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Machine Question >

Janome Machine Question

Janome Machine Question

Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 PM

Default Janome Machine Question

I am looking to buy a new machine and I am still test driving them. I am having a hard time finding the 6600 in any shop, yet I hear so many rave reviews about it. I drove the Skyline S5 and felt kind of let down. Can anyone tell me what the biggest difference in the feel between them would be?

I had tried a Babylock and didn't even have to hold the fabric it just sewed straight. I am not sure what features I need to look for in other brands to make that happen. Is it the number of feed dogs or the feeding system?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Do you want a machine just for piecing, or will you be wanting to quilt on it also? I have a Bernina 350 which has performed flawlessly (piecing) for two years, but there isn't enough room between the needle and the right side to quilt anything wider than 4 to 5 inches, such as a border. I have a Janome 7700 for quilting and have just finished a king-size quilt. The 6600 is older, so maybe it is being phased out. Most of the major brands have shrunk the size of their "standard" machines and now seem to be focusing on sewing/embroidery models as well as long-arms. Seems to me, after nearly 70 years of sewing starting with a treadle machine, that there are so many choices that decisions are harder to make than ever. Best to find a good dealer who will support your choice whatever it may be. Happy sewing!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:40 PM

I was looking for a machine that I could quilt on. At least to a lap sized quilt. I know that I would need a larger harp for anything bigger. I am a beginner sewer so spending thousands on a machine is not in the budget right now. Thank you for the advice and I will keep hunting.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 PM

You might want to look into the Baby Lock Jane, it has a large harp. Then there is the Juki brand. I have never heard a negative opinion on any Juki, no matter the model. You don't say where you are, but if you are near an area where a Sewing Expo just happened, or is about to, it is a good time to test drive different brands. Even if you did not go to the event, many of the stores have sales during the expo, and offer the classroom machines at discounts immediately afterward. If you can link up with the manager of a store, that person is usually in a position to bargain.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM

I may be mistaken, but Janome makes the Elna brand and I think my Elna Quilt Pro Queen is the same as the 6600. you might try looking for one of them. I really like mine and the harp is big enough to quilt a lap quilt.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 PM

The Elna 7300 is the one that matches the Janome 6600 -- they are both made by Janome. http://kenssewingcenter.com/ has it and Brubakers probably has it also. I had the 6500 and loved the big harp -- the 6600 has a harp about the same size and it has the accufeed system instead of having to use a walking foot. The 6600 is considered a real workhorse.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM

Thank you for the information! I am trying to find an expo near me. That might be my best bet.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:57 PM

I love my Baby Lock Crescendo. I've had it since fall and it sews so quiet and smooth. The harp is 11.23" which is great for sewing. I've not done any free motion as I have a long arm. Definetly would recommend.