Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome mini sewing machine >

Janome mini sewing machine

Janome mini sewing machine

Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 AM

I'm considering buying a mini sewing machine for pp in my motorhome. Has anyone used these and if so how do you like them. The on I'm looking at is a Janome Mini on ebay.

Thoughts?

Thank you for all info!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 AM

i have a janome gem sewing machine and i love it, nice light weight, runs good.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I bought a 3/4 size Janome machine for my grandaughter and it sews great. She wanted the Hello Kitty version but it comes in a plain version too. Janome makes a 3/4 and 1/2 size. The half size is considered a toy but it does sew. Also Kenmore has a small portable that is an excellent buy.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
i have a janome gem sewing machine and i love it, nice light weight, runs good.
Me too. I think it would be a good choice. It's great for taking to classes and guilds.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM

I have the Janome Jem Platinum 760 and absolutely love it! I'm not familiar with the Janome Mini, will have to go on eBay and look at it.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM
MM

Things to think about: What do you want to be able to do with the machine? What features do you have on your "usual" machine that you can't live without?

Two weeks ago I bought a Janome AQS2009 to take to classes, on weekend trips to fishing camps (DH fishes, I sew), etc. According to the dealer, she takes hers with her on plane trips in a cloth bag and puts it under the seat in front of her. I plan to do the same :).

Love it-has a nice bright light (does the mini have a light?), push button as well as foot control, and needle up/down, which is great for piecing. Has about 20 decorative stitches (less than the Platinum 720), but you can adjust the size of the zigzag (which I don't believe you can do with a Jem) and change the needle position. It's pretty compact and only weighs 12 pounds.

The price of the mini is certainly appealing! Good luck with your choice!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 PM

You can change the length and width of a zig zag stitch on the Jem (I had to test before posting this LOL!), and the Platinum has 60 stitches.

Good advice to know what kinds of things you can't live without. I borrowed a friend's machine recently that didn't have a needle threader and learned that I cannot live without a needle threader because I can't see the eye of a needle any more with my "over 40 eyes". :( :lol:
Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 AM
MM

Oops! Got mixed up...it's the Jem that has the preset/non adjustable zigzag, not the Platinum. Sorry!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 AM

I worked in a quilt shop/sewing machine store for 9 years, and they sold Janome & Singer. The small Janome Gems were great, and we did sell them to a lot of ladies traveling in RV's.

A neighbor of mine, who is now a dear friend, was a full time RVer and had several Singer featherweights, but used her Janome Gem for everything. We had no warranty problems with them, and had very little repair work from the Janomes, except for routine servicing.

Naturally, I'm a Janome advocate (even though I no longer work there) and have 3 Janome machines, and both my sisters and nieces all have Janomes, along with four quilting buddies. NOT ONE of us has had any trouble or repairs with them.

Think of all your traveling too...there are Janome dealers all over the country for accessories, etc. GO FOR IT!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

I have a Janome Petite that i got for my granddaughter. It sews great,although its a little slower speed than I am accustomed to. It does a better zig zag than my newer bigger machines. No bells and whistles,not even a light,but I love the little thing. I put one of those little stick on lights on it.