Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Janome question ~

Janome question ~

I have a Janome that I love dearly... It sews beautifully, however it squeals when I sew. Sounds to me like it needs oiled, however the manual says that the machine never needs oiled... Ideas?

Blog Entries
    Could be a loose belt or something along those lines. I'd have it serviced.

I agree that it sounds like a belt is slipping and that it needs a bit of service.

What kind of squeal and where's it coming from?

Don't wait long to get it serviced. Belts that are rubbing can break right in the middle of a project. It might just be an adjustment that the service person can fix right away.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

I have a computerized Kenmore that also says never to oil. It started sqealing bad last summer and I didn't want to take it to a shop, no good ones here. I ended up oiling it just a little in the obvious places, where I oiled my old kenmore, it hasn't squeaked since. That was at least 6 months ago, so far so good.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I also have a computerized Kenmore and it says not to oil it, but I do anyway. I remove the front cover that's over the needle area and oil the shaft and bearings just like I do on all my mechanical machines. Between doing that and cleaning my bobbin area after every project, and more often if I'm doing a project with fabric that kicks up a lot of dust, like flannel, my machine rarely needs maintenance.

I do this on all my computerized sewing machines and I have several Janomes.
    Last edited by lalaland; 01-13-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

Blog Entries
    i put a drop of machine oil in the bobbin area but have been known to use Sewers Aid on Coats & Clark thread to help it go through the discs.

Quote Originally Posted by quilty15 View Post
    I have a Janome that I love dearly... It sews beautifully, however it squeals when I sew. Sounds to me like it needs oiled, however the manual says that the machine never needs oiled... Ideas?
    janomes DO need to be oiled when they squeak. take the plate off, take the bobbin holder out, and there in the middle looks like a wad of dust or lint - that isn't dust so don't pull it out. that is where you put a couple drops of oil. let us know if that stops the squeak. try this first before you take it in to have it serviced for $75.00.
    love people and use things, don't use people and love things

Blog Entries
    My Janome definately has to be oiled frequently!! Or it makes lots of noise then starts having other problems!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast