Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Question >

Janome Question

Janome Question

Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Overstock.com has a Memory Craft 6500P for $1,199 and a 9500 for $1,499. Does anyone have one of these and do you like it? Also, are these reasonable prices?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM

I love love love my 6500 it is a machine that has a good heavy feel not like the plastic ones nowadays and it works magnificently.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM

I have a 9700. Love it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM

Check out e-Bay. They have the same model (6500) for same prices, some with extras, free shipping, lots to choose from, many from stores who primarily deal with sewing machines and they have excellent feedback, like 99.7% positive feedback with lots of sales. These are brand new machines, still in the box.

And yes, that's an excellent price, although it certainly would be worth trying to "haggle" a little. You could try it. Worst that could happen is they would say no! Just send them an e-mail with a lower bid, and see what happens. I've done that and saved myself some real money. I'd start by offering them $1000. They could always counter the offer with something below the (what is it?) $1,199? Or even offer them $900. Low ball them. You can always go up. Pick a store that has 8 or 10 to get rid of, and they may very well be willing to negotiate with you.

The reason the price is so low is that the 6500 was discontinued last year, and the 6600 is out and in stores. They've taken all of the 6500's off the shelves because they don't want it to compete with the 6600's. Now there is a back log of the 6500's that they are desperately trying to sell. Just as an example, I'm getting a newly refurbished 4-year-old Janome 6500 in excellent condition for $500 and a 1 year warranty. How's that for a great deal! It just came into the shop on a trade. The shop owner doesn't want to have to try and sell it, but knew I was anxious to buy a good machine for as little as possible, so they called me. (If I had $1,200, I'd get a new one off e-Bay! But I don't right now.)

You won't be sorry buying this machine. It's a great workhorse, tons of stitches and features, very solid, built to last and work well for years to come. It requires maintenance, but rarely needs repairs. It has some truly great decorative stitches, and you can combine stitches too. I think that makes the total stitch count something like 391. Plus it does all the usual stuff, the buttonholes, and it comes with all kinds of attachements and pressing feet.

My good deal should help to put that price into perspective. If I hadn't bought it, they wouldn't have even kept it in the shop to try to sell. They really don't want anyone looking at a 6500 instead of the 6600, because I personally don't think the upgrades are worth the big jump in price.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck! I'd love to know what you finally decide, so please post your outcome!

Warmest Regards,
Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 AM

Thank you for the info!