Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs. Juki >

Janome vs. Juki

Janome vs. Juki

Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Default Janome vs. Juki

I've been making quilts for a couple of years now. I can handquilt, but since that takes many months I often send quilts out to be quilted. All I have is a very old simple sewing machine. It would be painful beyond my tolerance to machine quilt on what I have. I've been contemplating getting a quilting machine for quite some time and find that I'll have a nice chunk of extra money in the next month or two and could afford something not too expensive. I had heard good things about the Viking Mega Quilter but looks like that is an older model and the nearest dealer is quite a drive away. A close by dealer sells Janome and Juki machines. There is a very basic Juki that has a huge harp space, but only does a straight stitch. It has a nice walking foot and looks like it would be exactly what I was looking for when I considered the Viking. On the other hand, the Janome has more capabilities with fancy stitches and letters.

So I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion. I'm leaning towards the Juki TL2010Q ($1200) because I really only think I will use the straight stitch and quilting functions. The Janome 8200 QCP ($2700) has more fancy stitches, but I had a machine with fancy stitches once and never used them. Should I stick with my original plan and just get the straight stitch/quilter, or should I get all the bells and whistles even though I doubt I'll ever use them?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM

my go to machine for the past 10 years has been a Brother 1500. it sew ONLY a straight stitch but it does it to perfection!!! FMQ is easy with the big harp area. I bought ''fancy'' computerized machine 2 years ago....have used the zig zag stitch a few times and that is it.... The Baby Lock Jane, is the exact same machine as my Brother 1500....I've been told the Brother company has gone to a lot of plastic parts now.....
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM

I just bought the Juki TL2010Q (sight unseen and without trying it prior). I love it! It was perfect right from the start, and have not had to mess with tension at all! I love it! I did not have a Juki dealer within 100 miles, but did speak with my local repairman and he highly recommended it because of it's reputation and the all metal parts inside.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a straight stitch piecing and quilting machine, it's perfect. If you are looking for more stitches, it will not be the one you need.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:59 PM

I bought a Janome 6600 and love that machine. I do make use of some of the decorative stitches - buttonhole for machine applique - zigzag for applique as well. I also had a machine that just straight stitched, but once I purchases the Janome I find that I am making use of the decorative stitches. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM

I have a Janome 6600p and, until recently, a Juki HZL600. I rehomed the Juki with a friend who has been quilting on a $100 Brother and wanted to do much more. I love the Janome. The Juki was fine but not on par with the Janome. I paid around $1500 for the Janome and $800 for the Juki, so, for the $$$, the Juki was a great value.

Sew on them. I've tried out machines that cost way more than the Janome, but the Janome was "mine" from the moment I sat in front of it!!!! I think it's very individual, and not always obvious to others, which machine works for us.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 PM

I was also contemplating the juki and the janome 7700. I personally chose the janome for a few reasons.
1. I don't use a foot petal because of my back I just use the start/stop button and the juki didn't have that.
2. I sew garments as well and wanted some of the other stitches for garment construction.

I was very happy with my choice and found the janome 7700 for a great price right as the 8200 came out.

Have fun with whatever machine you choose!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
my go to machine for the past 10 years has been a Brother 1500. it sew ONLY a straight stitch but it does it to perfection!!! FMQ is easy with the big harp area. I bought ''fancy'' computerized machine 2 years ago....have used the zig zag stitch a few times and that is it.... The Baby Lock Jane, is the exact same machine as my Brother 1500....I've been told the Brother company has gone to a lot of plastic parts now.....
I can tell you that the high end brothers are not plastic, their weight will tell you so they are very much metal and very heavy. don't believe everything you hear
Old 03-23-2013, 05:42 PM

I love my Juki-TL98Q. It is fast and the feet and walking foot is much heavier than Janome machines. I really really disliked my Janome 6500 and it did not live up to any of the good things that I had heard about it. My Juki quilts so much better than my Janome ever did and cost about a third as much as the Janome. Juki wins hands down.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM

A couple of BIG disclaimers here...I don't machine quilt...I hand quilt. BUT from what I have read, when machine quilting, it's a straight stitch kinda thing. I love my Viking, but agree, what you are looking at from that perspective is an older machine. I've seen wonderful things written about the Juki. And, for what it's worth, the Juki's I've seen in commercial applications are wonderful machines. The Viking I have does lots of decorative stitches...many of which I've never used and never will. If you're goal is strictly machine quilting with this machine, I'd probably vote for the Juki.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM

I have the Juki TL98E. I love that machine. I also have a high end Viking. But, for piecing and quilting my Juki is my go to machine. It is super fast, consistent and dependable.