Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Japan Quilts >

Japan Quilts

Japan Quilts

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Hi, Has anyone heard anything about the quilts sent to Japan? I hope they made it ok. Sue
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM

No, but I sent mine to a Quilt Magazine to forward to a Japanese Quilt Magazine...so I figure that they have sooooo many that they can't possible acknowledge the receipt.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM

I had mailed mine to the Co. address. I'm sure they're probably overwhelmed by all they got. Sue
Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
I had mailed mine to the Co. address. I'm sure they're probably overwhelmed by all they got. Sue
same place for me....
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
Hi, Has anyone heard anything about the quilts sent to Japan? I hope they made it ok. Sue
Information about just one of the many quilters who collected quilts to send to Japan:

Bev Rogan of Calgary, Alberta (and her family) did an amazing job in only 2 months of collecting, photographing, and arranging transportation for 1684 quilts (primarily from BC and Alberta in Canada).

They were shipped in a donated container from the United States and are now on their way to Japan. To see pictures, go to: www.quiltsforjapan.ca/

Here are a couple of messages on her Facebook group:
Many thanks Coralee and Don for transporting the 183 generous donations from the NW BC Quilters to "Quilts for Japan." Everything was so well organised, photographed and labelled and as a result has greatly diminished the amount of work at this end. You have no idea how much that is appreciated! I hope you had a safe trip to Red Deer. Such a pleasure to have met you.

Myrna Leard
It is amazing to me how one very caring person started this wonderful project and how quilters everywhere jumped to their machines and carried out their dreams to help humanity in a time of trauma. The love sewn into each quilt will be felt for many years to come and the love will undoubtedly be passed onto others in need. What a great example of how one person can make a positive change in this world; when we all do our little part, the world becomes a much better place in which to live. Thank you Bev and your family, thank you Griffin Logistics and Tundra Boiler and Instrumentation, thank you Global Samaritan, thank you CRASH Japan, thank you Stitch in the Ditch, and most of all, thank you quilters. Without all of you, none of this would have been possible. May God bless all of you.

Bev Rogan May 25/2011
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

"Quilts for Japan" accepted its final donation to our Canadian address yesterday at 4:30pm. With over 1684 messages of love, hope and comfort now making their way to the people of Japan, it's wonderful to know that together we will have made a difference in the lives of so many. Thank you everyone for your compassion, kindness and generosity to the people of Japan.

As our efforts draw to a close I ask that you keep the people of Japan in your hearts as their struggles are far from over with the daunting task of rebuilding now ahead. For any of you wishing to make a donation in the months or years ahead, Global Samaritan Resources website has a Pay-pal link where you can direct donations specifically to Japan.

It has been a true honor and privilege to have worked with you all and to have been entrusted to handled your beautiful gifts from the heart to the people of Japan.

The very best of life to you all,

Bev

(Deanna)
There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says, "If you have two loaves of bread, sell one and buy a lily." Interestingly enough, I first heard a version of this saying when I was a child on the old show "Death Valley Days" with Ronald Reagan. The proverb there was, "If you have two loaves, sell one and buy lilies for your soul." I like to think that the generous quilters across Canada, the United States, and other countries around the World, provided a personal and loving gift for people who were traumatised by the tragedy in Japan. When something like that happens, people need more than their physical needs taken care of. Knowing that these quilters cared provided lilies for the soul.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM

You sure did a wonderful job getting these assembled. You must be seeing quilts in your sleep. I had no idea what happened once the quilts were received. It's nice to help someone who has had a destuctful thing happen to them. It takes yrs to recover. Thanks for the pics and letting us know all the work you did. Your truly a special person. Sue