Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I got married in 1970, and used to go to my local JCP store for fabric to make my own clothes. That was waaay before we got a Joann's store here. I remember being upset that they took the fabric store out within a year or so, because there was no place in my town to buy fabric when I neede it for maternity clothes. For a few years, I had to travel to a larger town to buy fabric, then we got a Joann's and all was well.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Yep, I used to buy fabric at Pennys and at Sears. I actually learned to knit at classes I went to at Sears.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM

I, too, use to buy most of my clothing fabric at JC Penney's until sometime in late 1970's. That is when our northern Minnesota hometown store moved to different location from downtown to a mall that was built. Cotton is what they primarily had until a cotton shortage, which was about the time polyester was starting to be used. I noticed back then because the cost of fabric really went up!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM

aT LEAST 20 years ago. that would be my guess. I remember when they sold material.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM

In the 60's Redwood Falls, MN sold fabric in the Penney's, Montgomery Wards, Herberger's, and Ben Franklin. It was a town of 3-4000. Our little town of Morgan (900 people) We had a Gamble's Store that sold beautiful fabric and beautiful hats. It just had everything. The first new toys for Christmas came there. Memories.
Marilyn
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Have a nice day ladies i have to get to work now!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM

What great memories, we bought our fabric from Sears, Penny's and Montgomery Ward. I also remember the fabric dept. for all of them was upstairs near linens. Had forgotten about the dept. stores, in the mid 60's a fabric store finally opened near us. Can't remember the name, but it was wonderful! Of course knits were the rage and cotton was only 50 cents - 2.00 a yard. My eyes used to burn something awful when we went shopping, all the chemicals in the knits! Thought it was amazing to have a store totally devoted to sewing! LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 AM

JCP did sell fabric, as did Montgomery wards and sears.
I worked there back in the 70's and bought it there, I'd guess it wasn't the quality we can buy now, as quilting fabric, but it had to ironed if you made clothing, so I'd guess it was pretty much cotton.

In case anyone is interested I have a "cash book" that my mother kept, starting with her honeymoon trip...She bought 6-1/2 yards of percale, yellow. for 12 cents a yard, probably to make curtains. Percale is 100% cotton, 5 yds of yellow print fabric for 13-1/2 cents a yard. The whole honeymoon which included camping, gas food, etc was $55.59. This was 1941...at the time my dad was teaching and paying his father back for a college loan and paid $10 a month...I was born in '42 and the hospital bill was $59.00.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
Up until the 70's Penny's was a wonderful place to buy fabric and notions. I bought a great deal of my children's clothing fabric there. I do not remember when they quit, but my children were born in late 50's and early 60"s so that is what I am basing my timing on. They did sell a lot of the poly/cotton fabric. We were delighted to get out of having to iron all the clothes our families wore!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM

My Mom always purchased her fabric at Penny's. She did home sewing for other people who would shop at Penny's for there fabric. She would use the scraps of fabric to sew Barbie doll clothes and sell them to make money for our xmas gifts. We had the best dress dolls.