Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jean Quilt Top/Flannel Back - Need batting? >

Jean Quilt Top/Flannel Back - Need batting?

Jean Quilt Top/Flannel Back - Need batting?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 AM

I would tell you to put the batting in, as you might feel the seams through the flannel.. I have made some with, and some without, and you can feel the seams..
Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 AM

If it's a rag quilt, the seams would be on top and the flat flannel side would be next to you. You couldalways use a thin polyester batting init for added warmth, less bulk. I'm not a lover of that kind of batting, but used it in the 2 T shirt quilts i made. Let us know what you end up doing as there is a denim quilt on my to do list.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM

I made a denim quilt with flannel backing and used a poly batt in it. My oldest son is a long haul truck driver and he uses it in the truck. It takes a beating and is warm and washable. It's one of his favorite quilts I have made for him.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Hello Brod71
I have made several twin quilts with the denim and flannnel. I used the single layer of polyfil batting when I made mine.
My older boys used them folded in half to line their sleeping bags when we would go camping. And layed out flat on
their beds when at home.
Note: no matter how cute unless you stitch around holes or tears. Do not use these, as they will not hold up to wear and tear of children and and washings.
I also helped my sister in law square off and sandwich her denim quilt. She had sewed it up to make a camp quilt for their cabin. This she then wanted to place 3 layers of batting and tie. I talked her into only 2 layers. Sandwiched this quilt for her and then tied it. Had to take my kitchen table out of the dinning room so I could do this. While tieing quilt I would
roll the edge that I had finished so that I could reach the middle. This weight was so much I was sweating in a cold room
and my legs would go numb.

Hope that this info will help you. Good luck and enjoy. My boys (I have 4) all keep asking for new ones.
Sandra S
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM

Just finished a Rag Denim quilt in approx. twin size. one square of denim, white flannel and quilting cotton. X was the "quilting" pattern, then cropped the corners and used a 1/2 inch seam. didn't seem to be too much weight and the flannel was just the right amount of "batting". Shredding the edges was miserable, since Calif. is currently in "drought" status, I wasn't able to justify more than one wash. Killed a wire cat-hair brush instead. Actually worked very well.

Little boy, LOVED it for his new Big Boy bed (he just turned 3). Now Mom can "save" his Drunkard's Path baby crib quilt!
Attached Thumbnails dscf7950-small-.jpg   dscf7953-small-.jpg   dscf7954-small-.jpg