Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jeans Thread for quilting? >

Jeans Thread for quilting?

Jeans Thread for quilting?

Old 09-13-2015, 06:24 AM

I used a decorative thread to quilt a sweatshirt jacket that was thick like jeans thread. It came out gorgeous. I ran it thru the bobbin. I have also used it a little bit to quilt with it running thru the top, use a bigger needle. I think I used a jeans needle. You will have to fool around with adjusting your thread tension. Try it on a sample quilt sandwich and see what happens. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 AM

Jeans thread is just 12 weight thread. You do need to adjust your tension, let the heavier thread lay more on top, and use a light weight thread in the bobbin. You will need a large size denim needle but it is very do-able. It makes a wonderful texture to your quilting on the top of the project. The back stitching will basically disappear as it is drawn up to the top. 12 weight thread also comes in delicious variegated tones. Do a practice piece before starting on your project to be sure your tension settings will work. I have used this many times when doing a stipple, when making a tote bag with self quilted fabric I will quilt on just the top fabric and batting, leaving the lining to be added later. Try it, it is kind of fun.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:58 AM

LOL, for every question, there is a yes and a no! Try it on a sample sandwich, if it works, yes, if it doesn't, no.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by vcquan View Post
Has anyone ever used Jeans thread for quilting? I think this is a good price but not sure of quality and practicality for quilting.

http://www.wawak.com/Jean-Thread-Tex-60-750-yds-Assorted-10-Pack?quantity=1&custcol32=Cream
Its too thick for quilting. I like Superior's King Tut and Signature variegated threads for machine quilting. They are good quality threads, both are 40# thread. You can buy them in the 500 yard spools or 3,000 yard cones. I use a 90/14 or 100/16 top stitch needle for the best results.
Sharon in Texas
Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the responses and words of wisdom! I've made several tests and still fiddling with the tension.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Joellyn, I actually disagree. Back in the 1990s I took a class at the Houston International Quilt Festival with....(oh good grief, I have just drawn a blank on her name!!) Anyway, this instructor did interesting embellishments on her quilts at that time and she taught us to use YLI's Jeans Stitch thread to quilt with, even if we didn't use it for the whole quilt.

Since then, it reminds me of big stitch quilting and I've used it several times on quilts, especially smaller ones. By machine using a metallic OR top stitch needle. I increase the stitch length just a little bit, too.

I still have Jeans Stitch thread I bought all those years ago and it's good.

Jan in VA
maybe Linda Taylor, she has a video using it
Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 PM

Thank you for the chart, looking at it I noticed needles higher than a 20, which is for heavy weight like jeans etc., do you know of any place in the States that sell these, and what are they used for..
Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Like everyone said, it is too thick for general quilting.
I have to disagree....I use it all the time for quilting both free motion and straight line. It does not disappear into the quilt, which is why you would use it when you want to show off the beauty of the thread. It is strong, and comes in many colors including variegated. It is simply 12 weight thread, so use a size 18 top stitch or jeans needle. It is good to have a large arsenal of many types of threads to choose from. If you don't believe me just make up a sample. Use a a12weight on top, a lighter weight in the bobbin, and a #18 needle, Have some fun with it...do a stipple and some channel quilting...I think you will find it looks great and is as easy to use as any other type or weight of thread.