Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Roll 1600 Quilts

Jelly Roll 1600 Quilts

Hi everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to quilting. I have made this quilt twice so far. The first one I made at a retreat in May similar to the directions on the other thread.The next one I followed a friend's suggestion, And cut 20 strips in half, then cut the other 20 strips into thirds (approximately 13 inches), which really helps with the scrappiness. Before sewing, I put the strips in the dryer on the air only setting for a few minutes to make it more scrappy. When ready to sew, I put the strips in a large bag and picked them out randomly to sew. Will try to figure out how to post pics of both.I have now started cutting my own strips using a June Taylor gridded mat. With this mat you can cut strips from 1/2 inch to 12 inches. Very easy to get perfectly cut strips with this tool and it is my new favorite tool.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-04-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: pm to member

Sounds very interesting and I hope you will be able to figure out posting pics because I am very interested in how the second quilt you described turns out. I'm going to print your explanation on how to do this because I would like to make another quilt using a jellyroll or two and I think your friends idea may just be a winner! Thanks

Name:  CRAZY 8 QUILT.jpg
Views: 10187
Size:  211.6 KBHere are the pics of the 2 that I have done so far. They still need binding

Name:  Floral Border Jelly Roll 1600.jpg
Views: 10389
Size:  207.2 KB

Blog Entries
    I love your quilts. They look great!! I have one that needs finishing.....thanks for the inspiration")

Those are beautiful! And so much better than the jelly roll I made - your color choices are wonderful.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Very nice! I like your friend's idea on cutting some the strips into smaller pieces. It makes for a nicer looking quilt, IMO.
    ...cuz I said sew! www.sallysaw.blogspot.com

neat idea it really helps to break up the colors. I use my strip to do a quilt as you go back. Make a top and just quilt the strip in lines on the back. Two sided and everyone I've given has been liked.

I love the colors you chose for your quilt's. You did such a good job, they are beautiful.

Thanks sew much for the compliments!!!

Blog Entries
    Love the idea of cutting the strips. I have a Christmas one that is I am going to applique some poinsettias on it. Now I'll do another one using the shorter strips. Both are great quilts.
    Quilting in the Desert

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast