Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Jelly Roll Battle >

The Jelly Roll Battle

The Jelly Roll Battle

Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM

I love them too but I'm too cheap to buy very many. Mostly I cut my own strips. I do love the nice easy strip quilts.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 AM

I have never worked with them but got a couple for Christmas - one a Benartex Victorian style print and the other Moda Vin Du Jour. I unrolled them both out last week and admired them, but then they wouldn't roll back up properly!!! Pending disaster!

So then I had to run around looking for jelly-roll books and patterns...and now I have a good jelly-roll book downloaded and have ordered another on-line...and I am going to need some background fabric in fat quarters...

There is something wonderful about having 40!!! different!!! fabric strips, in all the colorways... light, dark, medium tones, and large, small, and blenders....

I can only think how dangerous it might be if I selected a jelly roll myself, in a fabric line of my choosing. Whoa, Sue!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

I will pick out a jelly roll (sometimes with matching layer cake or FQ bundle) and someone will admire it and ask what I'm going to do with it. I smile and say "It's going to look so pretty sitting on my shelf!" Quilters get it. All others look at me as if I'm nuts.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Oh man! I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one. My daughter looked at me like I was nuts as I sat there and admired it. I actually did buy two of it so one is still sitting pretty. I guess art is as art does.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 AM

A perk of using something right away is that you figure out just how much you love it. If you use it sooner rather than later, you can buy plenty more pretty easily.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

I love jelly rolls and layer cakes too. Looking at them, seeing the promise in them of colors and a quilt. I hate to unroll them, but I do. I take a deep breath, untie the knot and then lay out all the strips. It's really a wonderful thing! You have all these colors to work with. So mine don't stay tied up long. I want to see all the strips laid out. that's my fun part!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 AM

I have never bought any precuts that I can remember, oh yes once a 1/4 bundle I loved. I get the same feeling with buying fabric in larger quantities.lol
Old 07-09-2014, 03:46 AM

What are we saving them for??? The won't look pretty draped over our caskets. Bite the bullet and USE them. I don't buy very many as I have plenty of assorted yardage, but they are pretty, however I want to use mine so I have an excuse to buy more.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:12 AM

Jelly rolls decorate my sewing room. I must have a specific purpose to open one. I recently made a jelly roll race quilt and this are fun and so attractive with a narrow and a wide border. I am giving it today to a lovely young woman in my Bible study group who recently finished her doctorate and is moving back home to another state. I have purchased them on Ebay at surprisingly reasonable rates, even Moda, and have never received a crooked one!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I can relate to a degree, sometimes I think I like looking at my fabric stash more than using it! Always afraid I'll use something and then come across something to use it for that would have been better.
ooo, so true.