Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jelly roll braid problem

Jelly roll braid problem

Well, classic mistake as a beginner. Cut my sashing strips between jelly roll braids AFTER sewing them on. Laughed pretty hard when my finished quilt top was five inches longer on one side. So; valuable lesson learned. But, now I'm ripping, and not laughing anymore. My question to all of you is, is there anyway to get the bias edges on the braids to "unstretch" a little before tackling the sashing again? Would it help to spray with water generously and allow to air dry?

Have not used a jelly roll, yet (have several waiting) but will watch this for hints. Thanks for bringing it up and good luck.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

it MAY help to wet and let dry then press NOT iron, then measure your length and pin both ends , then the middle then lots of places between. I think we all had to prove to ourselves that was a good rule to follow!

Power Poster
    Sometimes if I know my edges are going to be on the bias, I run a row of stay stitching 1/8 in from the edge. I also heavily starch my fabric before cutting and sewing the pieces as it helps stabilize the fabric. I don't know if wetting the braid and blocking it to dry would help or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Sometimes if I know my edges are going to be on the bias, I run a row of stay stitching 1/8 in from the edge. I also heavily starch my fabric before cutting and sewing the pieces as it helps stabilize the fabric.
    I agree. I was taught this a long time ago when doing a sampler quilt where one of the blocks had bias edges.

So sorry about all that unsewing!

Do you use a spray starch for this?

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    I agree. I was taught this a long time ago when doing a sampler quilt where one of the blocks had bias edges.

So sorry about all that unsewing!
    Great idea I will do next time. Mine ended up incredibly wonky and I thought if I quilted it "to death" it would help. Only helped a little.
    Alyce