Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question >

Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question

Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question

Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 PM

I cut my own strips for a jelly roll race. Some of the pieces ended up in the same area. I just cut out a big flower and appliqued it in that spot. It turned out pretty good. I cant seem to get the picture to upload. sorry.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM

I've been thinking about doing one in shades of turquoise and aqua to use on our bed for this summer. it would have to be king size so I'm sure I will need to do some adapting. I did like the idea someone posted earlier about putting a square at the end of the strip.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I am not a fan of this pattern but that is just me. I hate sewing those long things. Here is one I just found and will be my next strip quilt.

http://sewmeblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014...mber-2014.html
I really like this idea
Old 02-01-2015, 01:44 PM

I wasn't a big fan of the JRR until I saw one done a little differently on the MSQC board. Someone had taken her strips and cut half of them in half and the other half in thirds. She then threw them in a bag and grabbed and sewed them together. Yes, it did take more time but it turned out very scrappy and pretty. Sorry, I can't seem to find the link to show you!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 PM

I am not a fan of this pattern but that is just me. I hate sewing those long things. Here is one I just found and will be my next strip quilt.

I really like this strip quilt a lot! Thanks for telling us where to find it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Thank you for this. when I looked at the quilt I thought "no way can I do that" then I looked at her directions and had a "well duh" moment! One of my resolutions for this year was to continue pushing myself to do something I had not done before...this is on my list now!!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 AM

When we did JRR we cut 18 inches off the first one.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The first strip you cut, I think , 16" from the strip making it short. This staggers the rest of the strips.

I keep a jelly roll in my sewing tote to have something to make when I want to do mindless quilt making at a sew day. They make great gift quilts to have on hand for visiting kids.
That is going to be my next (MY) quilt - I have been saving up jelly rolls and 2-1/2" squares for the quilt. I have about eight rolls (big quilt) (planned it that way) and I am going to have one strip from each roll, not the same whole roll in order. I also thought it was 18" - not that 2" is going to make a difference, but if I am going to use 2-1/2" squares every so once in a while, is that going to screw it up? I have three quilts I have to make before I can start on my own jelly roll. The rest are samplers. Have a good day. Edie
Old 02-02-2015, 06:07 AM

The first Jelly Roll race I participated in, I cut my own strips, most others used Jelly Rolls. Mine was totally random and I was not a fan. It is still not a quilt, but I am starting to like the abandon placement quality it has. We recently did the Jelly Roll II, this time I used a Batik Jelly Roll and I find it more immediately pleasing. In both instances I placed all the strips in a large bag and mixed them up by hand and pulled them out randomly. I put immediate duplicates back in the bag, but other than that it was totally random.

Most quilts are an exercise in control, although it is difficult to let go and piece randomly, I think it is necessary from time to time for balance. At least, for me doing a Jelly Roll Race provides balance.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 AM

Put the strips together randomly. Make sure that you cut about 18 inches off the first strip so that your seams and the strips are staggered.