Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question >

Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question

Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question

Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Default Jelly roll & Jelly roll race quilt question

I'm sure some of you have done this before where you have used your stash to make your own jelly roll so my question is this...
After I cut the 42 or so strips how are they lined up to go into a jelly roll race quilt? I've only bought one and I can't remember if the same fabrics are put together (it seems like some were, or were they all?). I want it to come out right and look right in the end. So do I put like kind together or spread them out or what?

I think there was also a thread where someone cut them in thirds at some point to make it more scrappy. Does anyone know about that or what that thread was called so I can look for it? Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Karla
Old 02-01-2015, 08:33 AM

I think you are asking whether, if there are duplicates in the roll, if you should keep them together? I probably would not do that, myself.

My only complaint about the jelly roll race is that I don't care for the look when a fabric is too close to itself in the layout, but I don't know of any way to avoid this. Cutting the strips into smaller pieces (halves or thirds) would help, but it would also double or triple the work of keeping the pieces spread out.

Best bet is to embrace scrappiness and just start sewing. In my experience, the more you try to control a jelly roll race, the more frustrating it gets. I did find that I liked the quilt better when I used a square between the strips, but that's just me. I hope you have fun with it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508399[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails danielles-quilt-web.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Jelly Roll Race - put your strips into a bag. Pull out two and stitch together - ad another one and don't worry how they come out. Once you have your long strip sewn, gold it together and stitch longways. Keep folding it on itself an stitching till you have it the size/shape you want. I'll post some made by new sewists - kids aged 9-21 who hadn't used a sewing machine before.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a great tutorial for this.
Ellie
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 AM

posted picture is very nice. I like the black squares throughout!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Default Jelly Rolls Quilts by novice stitchers

These were the product of a 4-H event last November. Stitched by kids who had never used a sewing machine before then tied and donated. Green one was machine quilted.
Done in four variations - regular joining of strips, joining with a yellow square between strips, strips
varied between white/light and printed/dark, long green strips then short strip.
Attached Thumbnails expo.hickson-quilt.jpg   expo.hickson-quilt-2.jpg   expo.green.machinequilted.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 10:09 AM

I am not a fan of this pattern but that is just me. I hate sewing those long things. Here is one I just found and will be my next strip quilt.

http://sewmeblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014...mber-2014.html
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM

I did the jelly roll race at our guild meeting and had a great time with it. I cut all of the strips from my purple stash and sewed a 2.5" square of dark purple to the end of each strip before the race. The strips were sewn together randomly, but I avoided having 2 of the same attached. However, they land where they will eventually.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I am not a fan of this pattern but that is just me. I hate sewing those long things. Here is one I just found and will be my next strip quilt.

http://sewmeblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014...mber-2014.html
Checked this out, and really like it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

The first strip you cut, I think , 16" from the strip making it short. This staggers the rest of the strips.

I keep a jelly roll in my sewing tote to have something to make when I want to do mindless quilt making at a sew day. They make great gift quilts to have on hand for visiting kids.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.