Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Roll "race" quilt - HORRIBLE

I've done three of these Jelly Roll throws, not races, just on my own, and I've found that if I like the way the colors and the designs are lining up, I find the process enjoyable. If I don't , I find it quite tedious and I can't work fast enough to get it finished.
    Jan

I'm with you I had to do strip sets for my daughters quilt and I to get bored. More power to you guys I love precuts but I haven't seen one of the race quilts that I personally liked its a personal thing I'm to matchy. Good luck hope you finish

I made the jelly roll quilt and would do it again, but then I am not in a race. I do things on my time.

I don't like it when fabrics that are the same end up close to each other...it shouldn't be a big deal, but I guess I'm picky that way. The only way to avoid that is to use only one strip of each fabric, but most jelly rolls come with two of each...

I tried the race the first time I used the technique. Subsequently, I get up after each row of sewing and iron the seam and then, at the end, the whole thing is done. It takes longer but I find the prospect of ironing all the seams in one go daunting and it feels like ironing laundry and not a quilt top. It remains a wonderfully interesting and fast way to prepare a top in a short time. I now cut a strip off each new fabric, cut it in half and save them for the next non-race jelly roll quilt. It is also a nice way of getting something done when inspiration runs low.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Now I'm scared to try the jelly roll quilt. Not the race part, just the sewing all the roll together. Sounds daunting.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I'm just not a fan of the look. If I'm going to sew a mile of strips together, it'll be a rail fence or something similar.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Now I'm scared to try the jelly roll quilt. Not the race part, just the sewing all the roll together. Sounds daunting.
    the execution is beyond easy. It's the same thing for hours on end without really seeing any (what I consider) completion until the whole thing is done that I'd consider boring.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with you. I've never done it, because it didn't look like any fun at all. However, some of the ladies at our guild have made them and then decorated them with appliqued flowers. It was very cute.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

It's not an exciting quilt but I do like the end result. The first few seams are long, long seams!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast