Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: jelly roll top

jelly roll top

I just finished 2 jelly roll tops and now am wondering how to quilt them. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I'd probably do an all over swirly design or any thing you like really. Post when you get them done. How long did it take to make one?
    The Future is Now!

I cannot freemotion to save my life so I only do stitch in the ditch and I stitched 1 /4" on both sides of the seam and it turned out very nice...I will post a photo later in the week as I'm not at home to do it.

Honchey, make a small sample up and meander it to practice before doing it on a quilt. Free motion to me is a lot easier than stitching in the ditch. I always get frustrated when I won't stitch exactly in the ditch and it takes me longer to quilt in the end. I'd give it a go with a small piece like a table runner or something like that and break out of the stitch in the ditch.

Quiltjoey, without seeing the jelly roll quilt you are talking about, I'd probably also do some swirly designs for quilting to soften all the straight lines

I did an all-over meander on my jelly roll and really liked the look.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Straight lines going would be nice...there is a tute using painter's tape. makes it easier. Just be sure to use a walking foot.

We always agoinize how to quilt the quilt!! Heard alex anderson say once...if the quilt is angular (jelly roll) she quilts w/curves and if the quilt is curvy (drunkards path) she does quilting with straight lines. Just a tought but NOT a solution...sorry.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.