Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are jelly rolls cut straight?

I'm interested in trying jelly rolls but wonder if the fabric is cut so that the pattern appears straight (I do care about this- although have been criticized for doing so). Often fabric isn't printed straight but I never like how it looks when thing look off. I would be unhappy if there is a pattern that came out noticeably skewed. Any experience with this?

I've noticed with jelly rolls that they seem to be cut by a machine saw. My friend and I, and our 2 husbands, were at a quilt show. THe boys picked up a few jelly rolls, and then started discussing how they look like they're saw cut and then what type of saw would work best (boys!). It make sense that this would give you more accuracy in your strips.

I find Moda jelly rolls to be much more accurately cut than cheaper ones found at Joanns or Walmart. I guess the old adage, "You get what you pay for" is true sometimes.

Jelly rolls are cut the width of the fabric; unless the print pattern fits on the 2-1/2 inch width, you will not see a complete pattern. If you want to see the entire pattern buy at least a linear quarter, if the pattern repeats are more than 9 inches though, you need to buy at least half a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by acjacques
    Jelly rolls are cut the width of the fabric; unless the print pattern fits on the 2-1/2 inch width, you will not see a complete pattern. If you want to see the entire pattern buy at least a linear quarter, if the pattern repeats are more than 9 inches though, you need to buy at least half a yard.
    I'm not concerned with seeing the complete pattern but in seeing that the pattern, if it has say stripes, is straight.