Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jenny Doan retreat and patterns >

Jenny Doan retreat and patterns

Jenny Doan retreat and patterns

Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 PM

I saw that on the news! You looked stunning!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Depends on the size
Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Calla - your will have to get out of your quilt room. I thought everyone knew about Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Company. Really I am very happy for her - however I have a little bone to pick, they think you can make a quilt in a day! I don't know anyone who could get it done (cutting, piecing, guilting and binding) unless maybe it was a crib quilt!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM

That is so exciting for you!!!! And congratulations to Jenny!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Oh, I just love that video!!! Jenny is such a dear. I told my husband I want to make a trip to Hamilton, Missouri someday. Afterall, we live in Wisconsin, so it can't be too far away!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 PM

I agree Dunster! The same thing crossed my mind when I saw the piece. Eleanor Burns also crossed my mind because of how much she did to revolutionize quilting with popularizing strip piecing. I'm a fan of Jenny's too, but they did make it sound like last year we didn't have all these techniques and tricks. I don't hold Jenny responsible though, it was very bad research on NBC's part.

Lynda

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I liked it when she said they are the McDonald's of the quilt world. I think that's pretty accurate. I'm glad that quilting is getting the national publicity, and happy that Jenny's company is doing well, and I do enjoy her videos because they're fun. But really she is just one in a line of many teachers, innovators, and designers who have brought us more modern quilting methods. The piece makes it sound like quilting was back in the dark ages before Jenny came along.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 PM

I think it's important to remember it was a 2 minute news segment and the focus of the piece was Jenny, MSQC and Hamilton, Missouri. It's nice to see any coverage on quilting or any art form, and the tone was admiring and upbeat. So little of the positive on the evening news, I appreciate how NBC ends it's broadcasts on a positive note, one of the reasons I watch it. A road trip with my sister and other quilt buddies to a retreat at MSQC is in the top 5 of my bucket list!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM

Well - I wouldn't be taking umbrage at any newscast whose presenter calls a quilt a 'blanket'.............
Old 02-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by DixieDoodle View Post
I saw that footage on the nightly news. How wonderful that she was featured on national television!! I live in SW Missouri and one of my goals is to make the trip to Hamilton and visit Jenny's shop.
I live in Kansas City and I have already told my DH that I want to go to Hamilton and visit Jenny's shop. Can't wait for warmer weather.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 AM

I live in the Kansas City area and have been up there twice - easy trip - everyone there is really nice!! Can't wait to go back up and see all the new "additions" and do a retreat. The problem is my full-time work gets in the way!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 AM

When I pessimistically think one person can't make a difference, I will remind myself of Jenny and watch this video. Look what she and her friends/family have done for that small town.