Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jim Oiled My Machine >

Jim Oiled My Machine

Jim Oiled My Machine

Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Default Jim Oiled My Machine

He had to. It was starting to sound like a jack hammer. He took it apart, cleaned it nicely and put oil where the factory stuff was drying up. (Machine was bought July 9, 2010) It runs and sounds like brand new again.

However --
I have a question. How long must I wait until I can "trust" my little Brother again. I got some white fabric and sewed several times in the last couple of days. I put it on high speed and tiny flecks of oil are still coming out. I have put about 5 or 6 Q-tips up and down the shaft that holds the needle. I want to make sure that nothing is landing on fabric before I return to my snowmen blocks.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I would use the Q-tips every day for awhile. Plus, before every sewing session, I would sew at high speed for several minutes. You can take the needle out and drop the feed dogs to do this. I would place some white fabric between the feed dogs and the presser foot and lower the presser foot before doing this. That would allow you to see any specks of oil that might come flying out. Sounds as if the machine was over-oiled. It can take time for all of the excess oil to respond to gravity.

Also, I am wondering if he used sewing machine lubricant (squeezes out of a small tube, white, but with a similar consistency to vaseline)? This is what should be used between gears, instead of sewing machine oil. If he only used oil, that could explain why you are getting flecks of oil when you run the machine. Here is a link to the lubricant (which is used *only* on gears):
http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Fabrics-...dp/B008EUCSKS/

Last edited by Prism99; 03-02-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Do another project with dark fabric or sew on scraps until the machine heats up. About a week of sewing should be enough time but I use a tissue on the shaft before sewing for about 2 weeks.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM

If you've got access to an air compressor, you could blow it out real good. Or blow just the take-up area with a can of air. That might clear it out faster.