Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jinny Beyer Kit Question >

Jinny Beyer Kit Question

Jinny Beyer Kit Question

Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 AM

I've never bought a quilt kit before and I could well be getting in over my head but I've fallen in love with one of the Jinny Beyer designs.

My question is, are these kits fairly generous in the amount of fabric they include or is there just barely enough to finish the pattern as directed?

I'm a little nervous that I could mangle one or two patches and end up not being able to finish the pattern as directed.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 AM

I had ordered Ginny's kit for the Border Print Tote Bag, and I did have some fabric left over when the bag was completed - not an overabundance, but certainly enough to fix a screw-up if it happened.

Wish I could speak to the quilt kits also, but I have one in my stash I am pretty terrified of starting - only kidding, just haven't had the time! It's the Kaleido-Krazy Kit. That design is just gorgeous.. I hope to complete it before this year is over.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

It can be very helpful, if you cut practice block(s) out of scraps first. This way you can rule out pattern errors, cutting mistakes, or misinterpretations while reading the pattern :wink:
This is more important when buying kits, as there is not usually a lot of extra fabric included :D:D:D
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Are you buying it from a local quilt shop? So that if you run out of fabric, you can get more? I have had bad experiences with kits but have finally figured out it was the store that packaged them that made the mistake. There wasn't a spare inch of any fabric left over and I ran out of 2 fabrics and had to piece scraps to finish the quilt.

A kit that I purchased from a different store was the opposite - I have enough fabric left over to make pillows and small table runner.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you are getting it from a place with a good reputation and good customer reviews, it might be all right.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Ginny's shop is great to deal with. Just call or email to find out if fabric is still available. Usually there are more than acceptable substitute fabrics if you run short. The staff there are great on advising. Have done several of her kits and never had a problem. One I misfit badly and the staff came up with a great solution of changing measurements, instead of substituting--I never would have thought of that!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

it depends on where the kit is coming from- some shops just barely give you enough---you had better be accurate--others are very generous -
Jinny Beyer patterns are all advanced and for some reason some shops feel that means you will not make mistakes- and they are very stingy with the fabric cuts-
some how ever take into account that happy customers come back- and are more generous-
i would try to read some comments from customers who have purchased kits from the source- to see what they are saying about the kits they have purchased.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM

I have the same concerns when I buy kits!! I've ordered three kits directly from Jinny's site and they all had more than enough fabric. The kits were da Vinci, Crystal Star, and Stained Glass Star.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM

By the way, if you do seriously botch some cutting you can always find more of her fabric on her site --OR-- I'd bet someone on the site would have some extra in their stash. Her stuff is quite popular. You'll be ok. Good luck.