Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn Fabric fat quarters >

JoAnn Fabric fat quarters

JoAnn Fabric fat quarters

Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM

has anyone had trouble with fat quarters from Joann's? I recently purchased a few b/c they were the only thing I could find that was what I needed to go with a kids quilt I was making. I prewashed them b/c all the other fabric I had bought for it was prewashed. I ironed with starch, too. The fabric was very very thin and kept stretching out of shape while trying to use it. I began to even wonder if it was 100% cotton. Are their fat quarters not "true quilting fabric" or did I just happen to buy defective quarters. Not sure if I will buy them again. They were not even cut straight and some had wonky salvege edges.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

I also find their FQ to be thin. I'm not going to buy any more of them.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Really? I recently bought a bunch, like 30, when they were on sale. They had the best bright rainbow colors. I was looking for something like that for awhile. I really like them. I wonder if I am going to be disappointed :(
Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 PM

I've also noted how thin they are. Had several picked out when they were on sale for 99 cents the other day. Got to looking at the quality and ended up putting them all back. :-(
Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 PM

I think they carry different weights or quality of all cottons. I've gotten some that were thin and some fairly thick at JoAnns. I've also gotten some at a LQS that were on the thin side. My experience is you just have to always be checking. With the fat quarters it is hard to tell unless you thouroughly check them out but the stores and shops generally have them all tucked and folded, and not marked with manufacturer.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 PM

To me they are slightly thinner and when washed, they go all wonky. I don't pre wash everything but if I buy anything other than Kona cotton at Joann's (or walmart) I pre wash it. Because I just know it'll go all funky in the wash/dryer.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 PM

they have 2 different kinds one that is really thin and others that are beautiful. The Joann brand has some wonderful fabric the other is not that great. the stuff on the wall with the calico seems to be the cheaper of the 2 fq's the other ones are in another area and I like these much better.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Some people say they won't prewash fabrics because sometimes it goes "wonky"

If fabric is going to "go wonky" - wouldn't you like to know BEFORE you put it in something you plan to make?

Are the cuts a full 18 inches long now? I bought some several years ago, and most of them were less than 18 inches long.

(I've had skimpy-short cuts from OTHER places as well - including vendors at Quilt shows)
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 AM

I bought much fabric last week there but seems like all the fat quarters were very thin. I didn't get any of it. You do have to look at their fabrics,some on the racks are thin too.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 AM
BMP

I got a few last week but I was only going to use them for making some mug rugs. I think you have to be careful wherever you buy these days.

I did find some really beautiful stuff at WM for just under $3 a yrd.

I think you just have to really look closely and decide if it will work for your need.