Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann's Snuggle flannel...pills or no pills? >

Joann's Snuggle flannel...pills or no pills?

Joann's Snuggle flannel...pills or no pills?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
A few years ago I bought many different flannels from Joanns to make quilts for all the grandkids. I found the quality to vary a lot from piece to piece. It was very frustrating because I could not tell what would happen just be looking at the unwashed fabric. Because of this experience, I've given up on flannel from Joanns, even though the price is frequently so good.
I haven't worked with flannels except for bibs many years ago. Last year I purchased a couple of pieces from JA's and found that one pilled and the other didn't. I haven't used either one yet. Will definitely use the pilled piece as an inner layer. I have no idea how to judge the fabric before purchasing it.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:51 AM

I haven't had any problems with brushed cottons or flannels and love how they add an instant cuddle factor to a quilt!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 AM

I have a lap quilt that I used this flannel on the back. It's been well-used and washed monthly for about a year now, so pretty good usage. The back isn't exactly pilling but it's starting to get these lines of fuzz on it. Sort of like pilling, but long rows of fuzz rather than little balls of it. At some point I'll probably take one of those sweater shavers to it. It started happening about 6 months ago.

I think their flannel is OK for rag quilts, but I don't use it for backing anymore, because of this. It's not terrible, but I don't like it. Connecting Threads is my new favorite place to buy flannel - it's so much thicker and more luscious right from the start, and it lasts longer too. A little more expensive, but I think it's worth it.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Yes, the quality of flannels as Joanns varies. The weave of these fabrics is very loose...so as a "cutter at the cut table", please pre-wash, dry and iron these fabrics before using in your projects. You can expect 1"/yd shrinkage. This doesn't mean the fabric is bad; it's just a fact. The price is fabulous, and the variety this year is lovely.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:43 AM

I've found that you just have to feel each piece before you choose. Some prints are cute but the quality isn't good, others feel much nicer.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:46 AM

I use the flannel from JoAnn's when it goes on a super duper sale to make burp cloths. The burp cloths that I make use flannel front and back with a layer of warm and natural batting in the center. I have made a lot of these and they get washed over and over again and get used for more than one baby as siblings are born. The flannel holds up pretty well but there is some uneven fuzzing over time. For the purpose that I use it for it is fine. I would probably use it on a lap quilt or toddler quilt that is going to get dragged around but I doubt I would ever use it on a quilt that I would put a lot of effort in as I don't think the quality is there. I would never pay full price for it as I feel is it way over priced for the quality.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Purchased some Wednesday

I bought a lot of it Wednesday. The photo is what I bought after I prewashed it all. It washed up nicely with no bleeding or pilling. (I did use color catchers.) The blue on the top left had very little nap before washing, but is nice and soft and fuzzy afterwards. The sale price here is $1.74 and I just couldn't pass it up because we have quite a few babies on the way in my family...
Attached Thumbnails flannel.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:50 AM

I have used JoAnn's flannels to make several quilts for my bedridden daughter and they get washed A LOT. but I have not found them to pill at all. They are great for the job
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom View Post
I bought a lot of it Wednesday. The photo is what I bought after I prewashed it all. It washed up nicely with no bleeding or pilling. (I did use color catchers.) The blue on the top left had very little nap before washing, but is nice and soft and fuzzy afterwards. The sale price here is $1.74 and I just couldn't pass it up because we have quite a few babies on the way in my family...
You cannot beat their Black Friday sale prices for this flannel.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks DoxieMom for posting a picture of the washed fabrics. Great to see the results since I too purchased some today. Matter of fact I also bought the aqua with white polka dots and the white with aqua polka dots. Almost purchased the butterflies on the white background but went with purple theme instead of pink. Wish they had the purple with hearts on the top of your pile. It would of been a better choice than the solid purple I settled for.