Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Journey of a Thousand Steps or How Do I Get There From Here? >

A Journey of a Thousand Steps or How Do I Get There From Here?

A Journey of a Thousand Steps or How Do I Get There From Here?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:05 AM

While I certainly cannot tell you what you should do; I can tell you what I did. I spent one year only piecing blocks. I did not concern myself with large projects. I concentrated on working primarily on matching seams. Since I wasn't concerning myself with working on larger projects, or working on certain projects, my piecing work improved substantially and I have completed several larger, but not huge projects. I don't try to keep up with others, I work mostly on what gives me pleasure. I have won a few ribbons at the fair. My next step is to work on applique and then paper piecing.

I enjoy the process much more than I desire having stacks of finished quilts taking up valuable real estate in my home.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:25 AM

You are embarking on a wonderful journey. Start with the simplest, as you have suggested, and end with the most difficult. Happy stitching.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Like Nike says, just do it. Decide on one and go.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

It can get overwhelming. So sample blocks are great. Eventually, when you put the samples together you would have a sampler quilt. You can combine a sample EPP with an embroidered, etc.
Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
My advice, for what it is worth, is to make a sample or practice piece before doing each "real" one. That will show you what you need to work on. If you have window shades behind your quilts, sun fading won't be much of a problem. There is also sun resistant sort of home dec fabric that you can buy for backing - I use heavy denim which has held up very well.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 AM

It sounds like I should post pictures of the quilts I want to do so you can tell me which is the simplest one to do first. I'm thinking it is the asian broken circle but I could be dead wrong.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:08 PM

Just do it! Go for it! The only way to improve your skills is to do the work and practice your skills, learning at every step. Best of luck in your endeavor. When you finish, you will have a full basket of skills and no pattern will stymie you
Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 PM

You could practice on making baby quilts to donate to a children's Hospital or lap quilts for a nursing home.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Sorry but nothing beats practice, practice and practice again. A little like learning to drive do as much as possible. And always do a small sample before ANY quilt you do. Long arm quilters are doing it all the time so go straight into it . Us mere mortals need to practise before each time .
Old 04-18-2015, 07:13 AM

Here are the ones I want to attempt:

Asian Influence
Applique - Hand?

Compass Rose - this isn't the exact pattern because I want one with different length points but it is the general idea. I don't know how to do inset seams or how to deal with all of the fabrics in the point.
Pieced - Machine?

Cottage Door - evidently this requires making a bunch of circles. It sounds scary but I love the look.

Mt. Fuji Panel - fusible?
There are two matching panels and I would like to use one as the reflection of the other. It would mean cutting one up and laying it out in a broken pattern right?

So this is what I would like to do.

Last edited by tkhooper; 04-18-2015 at 07:15 AM.