Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Neimeyer - Is there an easy way to remove the paper? >

Judy Neimeyer - Is there an easy way to remove the paper?

Judy Neimeyer - Is there an easy way to remove the paper?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 PM

Unhappy Judy Neimeyer - Is there an easy way to remove the paper?

I have just finished 116 paper pieced blocks for a king size Japanese Fan (Judy Neimeyer quilt) http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/japanese-fan/ . It took me over a year and I kept the paper on to keep the blocks from stretching as they got moved around.

Now it's time to remove all of the newsprint type paper that came with the pattern. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way to do this? Pretty please???
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Just don't dampen it, it will be terrible. I would fold it on the seam line and try to tear it out. Hopefully you will have used a smaller stitch when putting the patches together. Some people use tweezers to get the little pieces out! or you could use one of those lint rollers. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Love paper piecing and JN patterns no easy way just rip them and use tweezers for and straglers. Can't wait to see it !
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 PM

Judy's patterns are printed on paper that's pretty easy to tear, as long as you used a very small stitch length. Put on a good movie and curl up with tweezers and a bag to put the papers in.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 PM

I don't stress about getting out the small pieces that are under the threads, it's on the inside of the quilt and tiny pieces will be reduced to bare traces in the first wash. I get the big stuff out and if it takes tweezers.. it stays in .. life is too short for something you will never see.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I don't stress about getting out the small pieces that are under the threads, it's on the inside of the quilt and tiny pieces will be reduced to bare traces in the first wash. I get the big stuff out and if it takes tweezers.. it stays in .. life is too short for something you will never see.
Thank you Lori! I feel the same way. A few tiny pieces of paper on the inside of the quilt will not be notice in anyway and will disintegrate to lint with washing.

To the OP. I fold back and run my nail along the seam before tearing but the easiest way is to have used a very short stitch length when assembling.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I used a tracing wheel along the seams and the paper is cut but the fabric isn't. I leave the paper that has to be picked out right where it is on any paper pieced block.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I always put my left thumb on the stitches and pull with the right hand. this keeps any stress from pulling out the stitches. just keep moving your left thumb down as you rip the paper. Good luck. Can't wait to see your quilt!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM

I wet just the seam line a little bit before I tear it and it tears really easy .not the whole piece just the seam line.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hybearn8er View Post
I wet just the seam line a little bit before I tear it and it tears really easy .not the whole piece just the seam line.
I'm thinking a cotton swab would work well for that.