Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer? >

Judy Niemeyer?

Judy Niemeyer?

Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

i agree, your 'practice' pieces look great. a beginner can do any pattern... just take it slowly and one step at a time. you may need to have your seam ripper at hand. good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

you can do anything you put your heart into. it a bit much for a beginner but one can do wonders. i took a class once and still haven't finished my project. my fault, just got busy and it was pushed to the side. then I moved. i will get back to it. only will say my teacher herself got confused. but she figured things out.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Here's the name of a Craftsy class for paper piecing that I really liked:
Paper Piecing the Quiltworx Dresden Plate with Jackie Kunkel. She uses the Judy Niemeyer style of paper piecing.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM

I took a basic paper piecing class. When I finished the class I saw a Judy Niemeyer quilt on the wall . I told the teacher I loved it , she said you can do it. It's repetition , repetion. I made it with out any trouble. I recommend you look at the pattern to see if it has a lot of repetion.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 AM

It's not the paper piecing part that is more challenging, it's that a lot of the completed peices have curves you have to sew together. If you are comfortable sewing curved peices together, then I don't think it would be a problem.

I've done a lot of garment construction, so I pretty much ignore the directions and put the curves together like I would if sewing on a sleeve, or something like that. In fact, I'm ignoring most of the directions as I thought it had way too much fabric waste for what you end up with. And when I got to that point, I decided to forgo doing it paper pieced too. I'm doing it like paper piecing, just not sewing on the papers.

I'm currently working on two versions of the Fire Island Hosta pattern. Just have the second half of the sawtooth leaf to put together and then it's just sewing the larger pieces (and all the curves) together. I'm not doing the larger version with the pieced scalloped border.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Curved seams AND set in seams (aka Y seams) Almost all of her star quilts have Set in Seams.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Beautiful hosts!!

Hmmm.......I haven't done a "Y"........
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 AM

I did a class by one of her certified teachers. It was great. We made the leaves pattern. You could make two. I made four and turned them into placemats. I thought the written directions were exceptionally written and I feel confident to do another of her patterns (another day, thank you!) because of the class instruction. I really like her work.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM

I will add that the pattern directions are very complete, and there is even paper cutting layout for the pieces to be paper pieced if you want to go that route. I was pulling mostly from my stash, and didn't have enough of some of the fabrics to use the cutting layouts. Since this is mostly triangles, I cut my fabric in strips and worked from the long strip, cutting and then turning it to use for the next triangle that color. With paper piecing, I don't pay any attention to bias. The Fire Island Hosta pattern I'm doing has mostly floating points, so it worked well as it does not matter if the point isn't in the exact location.

I've also got interested in doing a design by Jacqueline de Jonge. In fact, I picked the JN Hosta pattern as practice before trying the other. I've got the pattern and all the fabric for "Catch me if you Can". That one I will be using the papers, as the points have to be in the exact spot for it to look good.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
Thanks ladies! I'm glad you like my flowers. I think I'll look into finding a table runner by JN. That's a great suggestion!

My LQS had done one of her patterns a few years ago. It was the log cabin pattern. Classes at the store are few and far between for something like that.

Off to find a table runner!
I have started a couple of hers. She has table runners, table toppers, and other smaller projects that are also good if you want to start small. Here is her patterns webpage: http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/