Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge >

Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge

Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge

Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
I made the Mariner Star from JN and found it very easy to follow (it was my 4th quilt). I have one pattern that I paid a pretty penny for from JDJ and honestly it scares me (and I am now on 3-4 quilts per year over a 10 year period, so not a beginner by any means)!

It is one of the older ones and many of the patterns have to be copied multiple times so that you can cut them apart and use them. That and the language translation issues have stopped me from trying. And the fact that I counted that you need quite a few shades of each color (I seem to remember it was close to 100 total) and one some you needed such a small amount that even a fat qtr was too big.

If I remembered how to post a pic I would post my JN one.....my son was so little in the picture and is now 14 and taller than me! I wouldn't hesitate to do another JN (still have the Wedding/Bali Star pattern but it is one of the older versions)
Seriously look at this flip and sew method ...the need to copy a pattern multiple times is just NOT needed and as for the translation concern: she has not written patterns in Latin and whatever issues one might find with the translation... they are barely noticeable. I have been quilting for such a short period of time, injured hand and maybe ever so slightly dyslexic and if I can make Curling Colors, with my own selection of well over 80 batiks, almost anyone can! If you need 100 colors...I believe you can frequently buy a fat eighth?

Here is a link to the quilt I made using Jacqueline's pattern :http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t257423.html

Last edited by Basketman; 01-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM

I have done both, but took a class when I did Judy's quilts and feel much more confident with doing those. The JdJ wall hanging I did had a video to accompany it......GOOD THING is all I have to say.

Sure do like the looks of the J DeJong quilts....

Last edited by imsewnso; 01-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Oh i took a class on a Neimeyer pattern and even the teacher had a bit of trouble. I've yet to finish the project. I have a book by De Jong but haven't used it yet.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
I would consider myself a less than experienced quilter, a bit over two years of sewing and a dominant hand with fingertips missing, so if I can do either...in this case both, almost anyone can. There are some obvious differences...Niemeyer is usually more geometric and less curvilinear ( until recently) and DeJonge's usually have a vast amount of circles and tight arcs that require a lot of matching. If you have done one of Judy's then you get just how critical it is to keep things organized, not confusing sew lines and a host of other more logical things you forget are essential...until you try of one their respective projects. They both have mistakes and have posted corrections that you likely need to hunt down, some older ones of JDJ lack papers, and Judy's have more specific directions but they can be a bit unclear at times...so pluses and minuses for both of them. I recently chose a Jacqueline DeJonge pattern called Curling Colours: it had a quadzillion triangular pieces, a ton of intersecting curves, made it into a king size and I still slogged through it...and you know how guys are about directions.

Sidebar: about two-thirds through this quilt top I found a method that uses freezer paper ...that is frequently referred to as "flip and sew" and that saved me from tearing away all those pesky pieces of paper. You can convert this technique to employ the papers provided and a re-positional glue stick from an office supply store. I recently posted all the advantages of this method on this board elsewhere... if this is of interest? I also started to employ glue basting, clipping curves and a bunch of cool techniques that I learned from a Craftsy course...that you more experienced quilters likely know, but that also improved my final product.

So the bottom line? They both are not a cake walk, you have to think and not get ahead of yourself...but they each have a distinctive look to their work and that is what either draws us to one or the other...or in my case...both. If you flip a coin you will likely be happy with the results with either of them and if you need more information to fill in the blanks any further...you can drop me a private message, but of you belong to a group that does paper piecing you are likely light years ahead of me.
Please post a link to your freezer paper technique. Mahalo!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Check quiltNbee " no tear paper piecing" on utube. Perhaps a little loose in production value, and a little backtracking to cover the bases...but it gets the point across
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 AM

There was a video tutorial of Jacqueline de jonge demonstrating construction of one of her patterns in 2014 online. It seemed understandable... Her patterns are lovely though more for an advanced quilter. I admire her work.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
Thanks Sneed! Both are beautiful! and I appreciate the suggestion about the pre-cutting...I've wondered about that myself! So wait to cut, read, re-read, calculate and cross my fingers!
Since you're with a pp group you guys no doubt all keep up with tips on this method. After crossing your fingers be sure to choose a thread that is no heavier than a 50 weight...I am now using an 80wt on wall hangings. And then iron, iron, iron. I have a small ironing pad next to my machine with one of the little clover irons and use it with each fabric turn. Good luck and have fun!