Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010Q owners please advise >

Juki 2010Q owners please advise

Juki 2010Q owners please advise

Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Default Juki 2010Q owners please advise

Having trouble FMQ on my machine. Dealer serviced twice last week, no problems identified. Finally have switched threads and (cross your fingers) doing better for the moment. Question - is King Tut thread too heavy to use for FMQ on this machine? I increased needle size up to a 16 and it still messed up. Spent hours ripping out stitching and this top will never be the same. I will finish it, but probably headed for Goodwill....
I know I've used the King Tut thread with this machine before, but maybe I was using my walking foot ?? can't remember. I thought it was a good brand of thread, and didn't anticipate this problem.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM

I have used King Tut before without problems, what is it doing?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM

It was making micro stitches, then huge long stitches (up to 1 inch!). I am not the worlds best at FMQ, but have never had issues like this before. Usually when I mess up I know that I was at fault, but it's like this machine was possessed! You never saw such a mess.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Could be a bad batch of thread. I don't care for King Tut -- too linty and too heavy for my tastes. I would suggest trying out Glide thread or Metro Sigma thread (or Isacord), all polyester threads. They are easier for me to use than cotton thread, fewer issues, and less linty than cotton.

Edit: should add that dark cotton threads and variegated cotton threads tend to have more problems simply because the dyes and manufacturing process are harder on the thread.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Have you bothered with the speed control? I had the same problems you have with the Juki with a Brother 1500.

I do use the speed setting as my inner timing seems to change every time I sit down. I have the feed dogs down, but can still sense them moving as a hint about how fast or slow I'm going. I've successfully used clear poly for a whole quilt - not bragging about the actual quilting which was not as even as I'd like it, but got the needle threaded and the tension right so the machine just sewed.

If your bobbin and top thread aren't close in size - I grabbed a bobbin of embroidery bobbin thread with a heavy top thread just for decorative and it got messy.

I just had some fits with straight line quilting. Think I had King Tut or Superior on top, and a lighter thread on the bottom. The stitches were way off. I switched both to a fine poly and things got better.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Maybe it's not a thread problem. I have used many different threads on my TL2010 with no problems. I have even used Sulky 12 wt thread with 50 wt cotton in the bobbin and a size 18 needle. I did have to make some tension adjustments.

You said you have the machine serviced twice last week. Don't like asking: but is their service/maintenance up to par?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I always keep the same thread on top and on bobbin. I was using a variegated King Tut thread. Now using one color Isacord and it is better. I had not adjusted the speed control, didn't think of that. I usually keep it on about medium speed.
The dealer I took this machine to is the local retailer for the Juki and has been in business many years, I think the service dept. is alright, but the owner today suggested we might need to send my machine in for factory service. The technician last week was the one who suggested trying a different thread. I was hesitant to do so as so much ripping out involved. But now I am just going to finish this quilt with 2 different threads, and ....never use King Tut again.
Thanks so much for all your thoughts.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Know you aren't on a long arm, but when I do use King Tut on my long arm, I have to use a size 18 needle otherwise I just shred thread. Also, when I was still FMQ on my Elna DSW, I found that having a little longer needle (which means a bigger one too usually) helped the stitch quality.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 PM

The Superior thread site says to use 90/14 size needles for King Tut thread. I have used them with no problem on DSM but not on a long arm. Good luck. I hate to rip out, too.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:15 PM

I will sure remember to watch my needle sizes in the future. My usual thread is Aurifil. But there is less lint for sure with the Isacord. The Juki is such a simple, straight stitch machine and I have enjoyed it.....until now. Love to look at long arms, though.
Regarding the ripping - I think maybe I needed to further develop my patience - so the universe provided an opportunity!