Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki tl 98e please help! >

Juki tl 98e please help!

Juki tl 98e please help!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Juki tl 98e please help!

I recently purchased a juki tl 98e with easy quilter frame, and, well, I have never machine quilted! What was I thinking?! It was a great price, but I have only hand quilted. My question to you is, can anyone recommend books or videos that will help me through this learning process? Any tips would also be greatly appreciated! I do know that I have read practice practice practice, but will be honest, don't even know where to start! I have quilted for many years, but have so many quilt tops to quilt and no time to do all the hand work, so thought that this would be a good way, and doing 2 quilts would be the price I would pay to send them out to be la...Sorry, justifiying my purchase I guess. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!!!

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I know you will get many wonderful recommendations (I don't have any!) - but I can suggest looking on You tube and seeing if you can also watch people machine quilt. Good luck!!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM

I have a favorite book (set actually) and a favorite DVD. The book set is 'pocket guide to freehanding' by Darlene Epp. I remember when I bought this, I thought it was pricey (around $50 for a set of 3 small books: Borders, meanderings and fills..I think those are the names), but I use them EVERY time I quilt! My fav DVD is from the Pajama Quilter. She is great for beginners..starts out with easy shapes and progresses. She DOES quilt in her PJs on the DVD AND she suggests CHOCOLATE! How could THAT be wrong! You will get lots of other good suggestions, these are just my favorites.

One suggestion: see if you can find a users group for your frame. You will probably find someone who even uses a Juki on it. Other users are INVALUABLE! I have found I get better advice than from my dealer. I started with a Juki and it was a workhorse.

If I can be of assistance, you are welcome to PM me. I remember those days! And I had to 'wing it' on my OWN. (ask my husband, it was NOT a pretty picture!)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM

When I first started, I got some bleached muslin (you can also use cheap sheets), a pre-packaged batting (I suggest Hobbs Heirloon 80/20). I put red thread in the needle and black thread in the bobbin. This will help you get used to adjusting needle and bobbin tensions.
Since you do not have a stitch regulator on that machine, I suggest just doing straight lines until you find the speed you are comfortable and acheive the stitch length you want. Be sure to check the bobbin threads as you work for pokies (little red dots of thread poking thru) I use a mechanics mirror and flashlight. The mirror is on a handle that you can extend.
Working on curves is the most frustrating. Good rule of thumb is, just like driving a car slow down on curves and corners. Practice writing the alphabet in cursive for getting used to curves. As you slow down on the curves you will get a short stitch length but this is recommended because it will give you a smoother looking curve.
For practicing designs, you can get some VERY SIMPLE coloring books, remove a page, place it on the practice piece and stitch on the lines right thru the paper. This doesn't hurt the machine or needle in any way.
I used Maxi Lock threads when I first started. It was much easier to get good tension in both bobbin and needle. After I had practiced a bit then I switched up to the thicker threads to get comfortable with tension adjustments.
I filled up the whole practice sheet that I had loaded before trying a real quilt top.
Just remember, when you do load that first quilt top.........YOU WILL BE TERRIFIED! But, you will get more comfortable after your first pass.
Remember to breathe (yes you will be holding your breath), relax your arms, shoulders, hands and neck (comes easier as you go along) and take SEVERAL mini breaks.
Please keep us posted on your progress. If I can be more help, just send a pm. I'm always happy to help!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Have a lot of fun with your new machine and frame. I have the Brother 1500, but never used it on a frame. I am so jeolous. Have fun learning and be sure to post your work progress.

Originally Posted by michelehuston View Post
I recently purchased a juki tl 98e with easy quilter frame, and, well, I have never machine quilted! What was I thinking?! It was a great price, but I have only hand quilted. My question to you is, can anyone recommend books or videos that will help me through this learning process? Any tips would also be greatly appreciated! I do know that I have read practice practice practice, but will be honest, don't even know where to start! I have quilted for many years, but have so many quilt tops to quilt and no time to do all the hand work, so thought that this would be a good way, and doing 2 quilts would be the price I would pay to send them out to be la...Sorry, justifiying my purchase I guess. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!!!

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Kim Brunner at Kimmyquilt.com has a beginners DVD. You can also join that yahoo group - homequiltingsystems (or something like that). Enjoy!

Suzy
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM

look up youtube, make sure you have the right needles..