Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jumping quilting Foot >

Jumping quilting Foot

Jumping quilting Foot

Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM

I have a new Brothers Sewing and Quilting machine and the Walking Foot used for Quilting has a bad habit of jumping while I am trying to quilt. The foot seems to get caught or something and it will jump. I have sent this question to Brother also but they have not answered. I bet quilters will know the answer.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Cyn

I'm still trying to figure out if you put the presser foot down after you put the feed dogs down. I know you can use a darning foot or at least I think that's the one you use. I want to fmq but there's so many questions in my head! :( I hope you get your answer!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Hummm... I have a brother innov-is 450q and the walking foot does the same thing. I changed it out with my singer walking foot and everything worked fine. I think its a defect. Taking my foot back next week I just purchased this back in april, still under warranty.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Are you just doing straight quilting or are you trying to FMQ with the walking foot? I din't have any trouble with my walking foot on my Brother. It was a bit noisy and clunky but it didn't jump. Maybe take it back to the dealer and show them what it is doing.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Never had that problem with my brother or babylock walking feet
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Does your Singer Walking Foot fit your Brother?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM

Maybe if you took you machine in to your LQS they might be able to tell you what is happening and why.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I'm still trying to figure out if you put the presser foot down after you put the feed dogs down. I know you can use a darning foot or at least I think that's the one you use. I want to fmq but there's so many questions in my head! :( I hope you get your answer!
Yes, you do still have to put the presser foot down. It controls the tension of the thread. I once put a zipper in a dress with the presser foot UP. I was so nervous and holding the fabric so tight that it actually went in looking good!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
Originally Posted by Cyn
Yes, you do still have to put the presser foot down. It controls the tension of the thread. I once put a zipper in a dress with the presser foot UP. I was so nervous and holding the fabric so tight that it actually went in looking good!
Thanks for the info. I'm still too nervous to actually try this. It always takes me a while to think thru a project before I actually try it!