Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just another reminder to check the obvious! >

Just another reminder to check the obvious!

Just another reminder to check the obvious!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Just another reminder to check the obvious!

I've been having a world of trouble with the automatic needle threader on my Singer 160. No matter what position I put the needle in... or how fast I pressed the lever....or how slow (LOL)....or how much tension was on the thread... I could not get the thread to go into the needle!

I studied the sewing machine manual and prepared my tools this evening. That threader was going to work, no matter what! I tweaked and oiled the mechanism a little. Still, no luck.

All of a sudden a thought popped into my head.... change the NEEDLE! I changed the needle and guess what? Threader problem solved.

Recently I was working on a George Washington costume for a friend's son (don't ask how I got that job!). It required me to sew through elastic in a casing. I assume that sewing through that thick elastic caused the needle to bend ever so slightly, thus the threader could not get through the eye.

So as a public service announcement - always check the obvious things! Needle, bobbin thread (make sure it's going counter-clockwise), burrs on your thread spool - things like that will cause problems that drive you nutty, and they are so easily fixed!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Wow! That seems obvious in hindsight, but not sure I would have twigged to it the way you did.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Wow....thanks...solved my problem! Thought is just quit working...and the needle is just bent ever so slightly!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the reminder
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I had one machine that had a DVD showing how to use the threader, finally figured it out. I have one on my Babylock Jane and haven't figured it out. I just thread the needle and sew on. I find they just get in my way.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM

Anniedeb, you're welcome! That's why I post these things.... to hopefully help out someone else. Because we tend to forget the simple stuff when we get all caught up in our sewing!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM

I love the needle threader on my new Janome - have never been to work the one on my New Home.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I cannot figure out the auto threader on my Brother 1500. It has won, I have lost.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM

I have threaders on two of my machines. Never use them. Tried once on each - the learning time for me was not worth it. I just thread the needle. One less thing to monkey with and have go wrong. (And I have very bad eyes - when threading is defeating me I keep a magnifying glass on hand.)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Sometimes my automatic needle threader doesn't work. I never thought it could be the needle. Thank you a million times over!!! I will change my needle when it doesn't work. I'm sure that's the problem! It's so obvious, but something I never thought about! You're a godsend! I love my auto needle threader when it works!