Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just for fun--emotional quilts >

Just for fun--emotional quilts

Just for fun--emotional quilts

Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Every make a quilt while feeling really angry about something? How did it turn out?

I taught a tough group of kids during summer school one year, and got so frustrated with them one day that I had to quilt when I got home.

I ended up designing a quilt using fire-engine red FQ's in an "easy" log cabin pattern in all black, and putting it on point. My sewing was very off that day--none of the blocks were the same size and the setting triangles didn't fit either. And we won't discuss the times I had to "unsew".

I wrestled with that sucker for a week, and when I finally finished it, I named it my "Anger Quilt" It is very dramatic in all black and red, and one of my favorite lap quilts now.

My mother once tried to design and sew a Christmas table topper while undergoing chemotherapy. We both agree it is the ugliest thing she ever made--somehow she made red and green look yucky.

Our emotions affect our sewing, so when I'm working on a gift for someone I care about, I try not to curse in front of the quilt!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Nice insight on how feelings affect everything we do...I will keep this in mind while working on my projects
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

No - I never have tried sewing when angry, but I will remember your results. I have sewn while tired with not so good results.

I was really angry with my husband one day when we were supposed to go bowling (on a bowling league). I was still mad at him when we got there. He was standing back in the back joking around with someone when I was going to bowl. I ended up with a split with 2 pins on each side, still mad . . . threw the ball and picked up the spare!!! The only time in my life I was ever able to make that spare!! :lol:
Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't sew when I'm upset, angry or emotional. I think that's why I haven't been sewing lately. Found out I have cataracts, my new glasses are the wrong prescription or something and have been giving me headaches, and to top off everything else I went to see one of my favorite cousins today and he's not doing as well as I have been led to believe. He had a pretty bad stroke a few weeks ago and his family has been telling me that he's doing great so I didn't expect what I was confronted with today. I was really sad when I left the rehab facility today. So, maybe tomorrow, maybe Saturday, maybe next week, maybe then I can get back to sewing.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Rapture, I'm very sorry to hear about your dear cousin. Two thoughts here- many people make amazing recoveries so don't be discouraged by what you just saw.
The second thing is I'm your age and also have cataracts, same for my friend. She had the surgery and her eyesight is better than since she was a little girl. I'm going to have mine done and if I do as well as she my vision will be nearly perfect. All she needs now are mild reading glasses for needlework and reading. And my eyes aren't nearly as bad as hers were before the surgery.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Rapture, I know how you felt after seeing your cousin. That's how I felt after seeing my niece in the rehab. I was also expecting better than what I saw, plus, seeing so many other other patients in even worse shape, it was almost too much to handle. My niece had her stroke a year ago JUly, so many more proplems also, and now I learn she has cancer in her spine We just have to keep saying a lot of prayers for our loved ones.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

The Carrie Nation quilt that I've been working on for years is a real pain. Both my ex-husbands are alcoholics. I started making it because of what she stood for and was gonna give it to my second ex that broke my heart. That daggone thing, the seams come apart, the cutting was awful, I've taken out more stitches. While quilting it on my old machine the tension knob falls off. Everytime I use my new machine to quilt it something goes wrong with my machine. Jumped stitches, alarms for broken thread, needle breaks. I'm determined to finish. Once again I've laid it aside. Maybe even seven year after our divorce I still have bitterness. Whatever the reason I'm ready to burn the bad quilt.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM

It wasn't a quilt, but I was making matching shorts/shirts for my sons when they were young. The fabric was reds, blacks, swirling all over. By the time I got done with them I was mad at everyone.Really drove it home to me how colors do affect us!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Rapture my DH had cataract surgery 2 yrs ago and he see better now then he ever did, he no longer needs glasses to drive or read.
I never quilt when Im upset, I clean house instead and slam a lot of doors..lol
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea
The Carrie Nation quilt that I've been working on for years is a real pain. Both my ex-husbands are alcoholics. I started making it because of what she stood for and was gonna give it to my second ex that broke my heart. That daggone thing, the seams come apart, the cutting was awful, I've taken out more stitches. While quilting it on my old machine the tension knob falls off. Everytime I use my new machine to quilt it something goes wrong with my machine. Jumped stitches, alarms for broken thread, needle breaks. I'm determined to finish. Once again I've laid it aside. Maybe even seven year after our divorce I still have bitterness. Whatever the reason I'm ready to burn the bad quilt.
Maybe you should just abandon that one - do your machines behave when you are working other things?