Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got a Brother 1500 S >

Just got a Brother 1500 S

Just got a Brother 1500 S

Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 AM

After many months of searching for an affordable machine with a larger throat, I found the one I love and could afford. It is the Brother 1500 S. The only difference between the Brother and the Juki 98 that I saw was that the Juki had a thread cutter on the pedal. Otherwise, when I tried each of them out, I saw no difference. The Babylock #???? also has the 9 inch throat. What makes the 9" throat seem bigger though is that the arm is also much higher than all the other machines I tried. Now I want my husband to "raise the front room ceiling" to make my small front froom look bigger. hahaha

I am still practising the tension settings but I think I am going to try the advice from the HandiQuilter II owner who mentioned only threading one of the holes. Anyways, I am glad to hear that you can use the HQII with the Brother 1500 because when I called there, the clerk said she thought you needed a 12" throat. Let us know how the HQII works for you. Pauline
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I have this machine. It's great for FMQ. I don't have it in a frame as I use it a lot for piecing too. I use the John Flynn frame with it for FMQing or just by itself. I found if I use the Organ Titanium coated topstitch needles I seldom have thread breakage. I use size 17/90 the most. I use the bobbin genies in the bobbin case and that prevents backlash and bird nests. I turn the tension to low and increase to get the stitch I like. I had trouble with the auto thread cutter unthreading the needle. A poster here said to use only one hole not all three. That solved my problem. The manual is not that great, doesn't give much detail information at all. I still haven't figured out the pink/green/gray pressure settings. I just turn and unturn and it never makes any difference that I can tell. Oh and if anyone can post a youtube video how to use the auto needle threader on this machine please do! I cannot figure it out at all. :? :? :?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

The auto threader is a bit manual to work. You lower it by hand then turn it into the needle... there is a hook that goes through the eye. You then, holding the thread horizontal to the needle, hook the thread. Now turn the threader away from the needle. If you caught the thread on the hook it will follow through the eye. Now that should be as clear as mud! :) Give it a try and practice. I don't always catch the hook but it sure is easier then trying to push the thread through the eye by itself!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM

... Anyways, I am glad to hear that you can use the HQII with the Brother 1500 because when I called there, the clerk said she thought you needed a 12" throat. Let us know how the HQII works for you. Pauline...

I use the Brother 1500 on my HQII frame. I can understand why it is suggested to use a 12" throat machine, but you can use the 9" too.

You have 9" from the needle to the back of the machine, your frame is going to use some of that space, so now your 9" is maybe 7 1/2" useable. And with every turn of the take up roller you loose useable space.

Did you get the VHS tape (might be DVD now) for setting up the HQII Frame? Mine included how to load your quilt using the leaders and... how to roll forward and back to allow larger motifs. The information used to be available on the web site and you might find it on YouTube.

Have fun with your new set up.. let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to help in anyway I can. Mona
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Have fun and good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I've been practicing for the last hour to thread using the threader. It's hopeless. I cannot figure it out. Gets me frustrated that something so simple I can't do it without someone showing me.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM

I tried to make a video, but it's hard with only one set of hands! <giggle> So here are some photos for you. Let me know where your getting hung up and I'll try to find a way to show you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214569.jpe   attachment-214571.jpe   attachment-214572.jpe  
Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I did it! I got out my biggest magnifying glass and after a dozen attempts I threaded the needle. All it took was doing it once and now I can do it. Thank you so much for helping.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Oh, the fmq foot on yours is not like the one that came with mine. Did you order it special? Mine has a bigger circle and has clear plastic in it. I ordered another one and modified it to my liking but I think one like yours will be much better to see what I'm stitching.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

I broke the plastic out of mine right after I got the machine. After doing some research I got the 1/5 foot for the juki machine. It's all metal, fits the shank, and I feel gives me more viability in the area I sew.