Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got to thinking >

Just got to thinking

Just got to thinking

Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 AM
dd

My LQS says not to cut them off the backing that it helps to stabilize the backing. Just makes it stronger. But then again, they only sell the highest quality quilting fabric. Guess maybe that doesn't shrink anymore.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 AM

I also leave it on until I cut the fabric strips but then cut off the selvage edge completely before cross cutting the pieces. I like the mfg info for future reference on the pieces in my stash.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I never removed my selvages. I like having them on in case I run short of the fabric !!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Depends on what the selvage does after it has been washed.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM

Once I needed a very small piece of material for an applique. I was not careful enough cutting it out along the salvage and accidentally left a small amount of salvage material on the piece. I never caught it until I was hand quilting around the applique. It definitely caught my eye as the weave was much different in that area. Thank goodness it was very small and could not be detected unless you were working closely in the spot. I always cut the salvage off as I am using the material but now carefully check to be sure I have removed a sufficient amount.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:26 AM

I leave the selvedge on the fabric as long as I can. It gives me a point of reference for setting a straight line and knowing where the cross grain vs length grain is. I never leave the selvedge on a piece that is going into a garment or quilt however.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 AM

If the salvage is the same color and not noticeable I do not bother to cut It off. However, if it is white or definitely not the same as the quilt fabric, it could possibly show at some time and then I am sure to clip it. However, I never have had a problem with unusual shrinkage. Seems to me like this is one of those things that we do because it was always done that way. That happens to me a lot.

I find that especially true when I decide to take a class and find out how to do something completely different than the method I had always used. Funny how the new way works much better and Is faster.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM

I leave the selvage on while I'm slicing strips in case I need that bit of extra at the end. My philosophy is I'm making quilts, an art form of thriftiness. When I at times use part of the selvage, it adds authenticity. Even if the selvage shows occasionally, it adds some interest.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM

When I made clothes I didn't remove the selvage but was careful not to use them in the garment. Later when I learned to quilt I always read to remove salvages but not why.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM

I remove my selvages but I save them until I finish the quilt. I often change the quilt as I am making it and then I need more fabric. It makes it so much easier to hunt down the fabric 2 years later when I finally finish the quilt.