Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just had a great idea..... >

Just had a great idea.....

Just had a great idea.....

Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Great idea! Just remember that it's easier to write on fabric that has been backed with freezer paper. Congratulations to you both!!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you for the freezer paper idea - that will definitely come in handy! I had already logged in the idea of the border to write inside of...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

It may be helpful to iron freezer paper onto the back, it helps to stabilize the fabric while they write on it. Also, it helps to keep them laying nice and flat while storing (no wrinkles/creases) :D:D:D
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Prissnboot sent me a Pm asking for my experiences so here goes:

Use an album block, such as Album twist, Album block, Album Patch, Album Star, or just a Snowball blocks works too.

Here are links at Quilters Cache:

http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlbumTwistBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlbumBlock.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlbumPatchBlock.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlbumStarBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SnowballBlock.html

I use a good quality muslin for the signature area, cut the
signature area larger than needed to construct the block.

Iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric, this does a couple of things. It makes it easier to write on, the fabric won't stretch when people put pressure on it, it also keeps the ink from bleeding. Sometimes, when people write on the block they put too much pressure and it causes the ink to be too heavy and bleed.

Lightly draw on the fabric the size square you need, including the seam allowance, to indicate where the people should write. These markings will be hidden in your seam allowance.

If you want to get real prissy, you can draw lines on the freezer paper to give them a guide to write on. I run the sheets through my printer, print on the paper side, and usually it is dark enough to see.

Use a good Pigma fabric pen, it's important, lesser quality won't hold up. Be sure to heat set the ink!

Here is a link, there are also fabric crayons here.

http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/marking.htm

There are 2 ways to approach getting the signatures:
1) have the squares at the event to be signed. This way you can control everything.
2) mail the squares to everyone prior to the event, with a return envelope and instructions. The only problem with this is you end up chasing for the fabric, believe it or not!
But the advantage is that you can have a completed quilt at the event.
3) complete the quilt before the event and obtain signatures at the event. Disadvantage here is if someone messes up the ink, the quilt shows it. At one bridal shower where I premade the quilt, a lady shook the pen and splattered ink across the whole quilt. My heart was broken, but the bride was thrilled anyway. She still has the quilt hanging in her bedroom, ink splatters and all!

If I think of anything else I'll add another post.

Good luck, keep us posted on your quilt. We would all love to see it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

ZigWriters would work extremely well for this. They have a fat end and a skinny end and come in a good selection of colors. They're archival and don't bleed. And cheaper than Pigma Pens.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Make sure to have the squares stabilized with either freezer paper or a fusible stabilizer, make sure that you have some kind of markings and make sure they know to stay INSIDE the markings, some people don't seem to understand that for some reason. I'm sure you'll get lots of tips from the board and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM

I am going to keep this information for later.

My only suggestion would be after you press the freezer paper to the back. Use a Sharpie and mark a pronounced line to mark the borders of the finished block. It will be very visible from the front and not be anything that may have to be removed from the square. Good luck and can't wait to see the final product.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Congrats on your upcoming marriage and what a awesome idea :!: :!: :!:
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Iron freezer paper onto the back of each one so the fabric doesn't "move" when they are writing or drawing on them. :thumbup: I like the idea of putting a border around the edges. It will keep the signatures, etc. within the proper space. Too often people write or draw too close to the edge of the fabric -- even when told not to do so -- and the signature or drawing gets chopped off when the block is sewn together.