Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Default This is JUST a hobby

I wonder if there is an invisible sign on my roof that says I'm in the sewing business. I've sewn for years and I have had people calling me and out of no where asking me to mend, create, and even alter prom and bridal. I have done some for special people but have ceased to do that except for family. Two years ago when I retired I started quilting. I love my new hobby and the creativity it affords me. Now I am getting calls to make quilts. REALLY? I have to tell people NO...you can't afford me. Quilting takes time and how can you even begin to calculate? I make quilts for my grandchildren and people I love because I want to. I struggle with the "no" word because I care. I just can't get myself into that scene again. I need to learn to say NO and not feel guilty.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:28 AM

You are right when you say they can not afford you. People think you can make them a quilt for what one at a discount store would cost. pennies
Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 AM

I have learned the best way to cut these people off is by saying: "I would love to teach you to make the quilt. It will be a lot of fun for both of us." With this, it has been the last I've heard of making a quilt for them.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 AM

I have had that problem as well. I have found if I tell them how much I have invested in fabric, batting and quilting before even considering anything for my time they seem to lose interest. I donate quilts for local fund raisers, so if they want to take a chance on one that way....go for it!!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:04 AM

Word must be out about what great work you do--just take these requests as complements. Like GemState, I have found that if I explain the costs and time involved and that I wouldn't consider making a quilt for less than $1,000, this ends the discussion pretty fast!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Yep, I got the same thing here! People think if you got a sewing machine you can do anything. They think you have nothing else to do with your time. I used to help them, but anymore I just say "no". Sometimes it is a close friend or family member so I usually give in. I know when I retire I could be bombarded with this, if I dont stand my ground. I tell everyone i dont have a shingle out for this!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 AM

Learn to say NO NO NO . Do not feel guilty !! Then go quilt.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 AM

I learned to say no a long time ago. Because I don't want to, that's why.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 AM

I used to have a hard time about feeling guilty when I say no, but I've learned to deal with that and it's not so much a problem anymore. I love making quilts for people I want to make quilts for.... the rest can learn to quilt if they want one. Like GailG I've offered to teach a few people and 2 took me up on it. One is still quilting.... one is not. At least they know what goes into the process now.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Once you finally say No, it gets easier. So give it a try.