Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas! >

Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas!

Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Default Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas!

We just got home last night after 8 days in Ireland--our first, but hopefully not last trip there! Was little disappointed that could not find any LQS--did look in Connemara for Rags for Linda shop, but frankly was so busy making sure that my DH, who was driving didn't crash me into the many stone walls--that driving on left side was tricky! Know there were some in Dublin area, but we had dumped the car by then and didn't have time to do more than sightsee. But what sightseeing!

Lovely old buildings, many with amazing tile work and ceiling molding--I had both camera and sketch book ready and brought home lots of ideas for machine quilting designs!

The food was great! What's not to like about a country where you find Chocolate Cafes in the cities??And the wool-both knitted and woven was just luxurious--did treat myself to an Aran sweater. What a friendly people the Irish are--we definitely want to go back!
Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 AM

My dream vacation! Glad you had such a wonderful time.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM

Sounds like you and your hubby had a wonderful time.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM

I went to Ireland in July. Our group did a work project in the Northern area and then we did a tour of the Ring of Kerry in the Southern area. Could not find a LQS any where! Closest type of fabric store we came to was for home dec. Was very disappointed but sure loved the countryside and the very gracious people we met.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM

We got home Friday from Ireland. 6 days of fun. Cliffs of Moher, Mizen Head, Dingle Peninsula, Castles, Dublin, Limerick, Kilkenny, Kilarney, finding which Pub had best food, soccer game, Aran sweater shopping, Guiness sampling and learning the correct way to "pour", golf and the friendly Irish people whom we'll always hold dear. We walked 6 to 7 miles every day and our travel companion drove the car like a pro.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:53 AM

I hope to some day get to Ireland, if I can get my husband out of the recliner.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:29 PM

So glad to hear you enjoyed your trip here. You certainly did a lot of travelling. Patchwork and quilting is very popular over here but the shops are hard to find, some are in private houses. Here's a link to a list of shops that is on the site for the Eastern Branch of the Irish Patchwork Society, http://www.easternbranch-ips.com/shops/.

Here is the main link to the Irish patchwork society which includes a link for people visiting Ireland. It lists all the different branches that are around the country and, as far as I know, visitors are very welcome to attend the meetings, certainly in the Eastern branch in Dublin, http://www.irishpatchwork.ie/index.html
Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Ireland is like UK our shops are very far apart as quilting doesn't have the status it commands in the US. I'm lucky with 3 shops within a 30 mile radius. Other areas actually go on bus trips to shops from local Quilt Guilds.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:03 AM

Visited Ireland in July, and it is an awesome country.. The people were great.. We rented a car, and destroyed a tire by hitting a curb.. The roundabouts were a real trip.. Can't wait to go back, and hit more castles.. I didn't hit any fabric stores, as I was with the guys, and didn't want to listen to them complain.. Glad I sat in the back seat...
Old 09-19-2015, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by regm View Post
I hope to some day get to Ireland, if I can get my husband out of the recliner.
Go without him. LOL When I want to travel and DH doesn't, I say see you later. I would have missed amazing memories if stayed home because he didn't want to go.