Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 PM

Oh I am ashamed! What if I ever said this?!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 AM

When someone asks...I tell them how many Hours go into a project. That is sufficient to get the point accross that the answer is .... no.
sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 AM

Whenever someone in my office of 60 people is expecting a baby, I make either a crib quilt or a car seat quilt. One woman, who is in her 50's and single, asked if I would make a quilt for her too since she'd never get one by having a baby. Another co-worker asked if I would shorten her pants for her since I know how to sew and she doesn't. I told her about the local dry cleaner who does alterations for a reasonable price and she hasn't spoken to me since.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM

To all the ladies who are expected to whip out a baby quilt over the weekend, I would suggest buying two yards of coordinating fabric(one yard each) sandwich them, quilt it, square it up and use the scraps for the binding. I"ve never kept track of how much time it took but a lot faster than putting a top together. I also crochet baby afghans to keep on hand and I can't believe that my DD thought it would only take me two days to finish one. She knows better now.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:24 AM

I wasn't a member of this board when this thread started last year in May 2016, so saw it this morning and read all of it. Wow! We all have stories of how clueless so many people are about what it takes to make a quilt. Mine is slightly different.
I mentioned to my son that I thought I needed a new computer, mine was old, not running right, etc. Me not being very computer literate asked, Would he help me pick one out that would do what I wanted? His reply: "Build one yourself, get the parts you need and just build it yourself!" Me: I can't build a computer, I barely know how to operate one. Him: You can build a quilt can't you, you can build a computer!
Loved that he thought building a computer and building a quilt required the same skill set. I bought a new computer already built.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Great thread!! I LOVE Cathy Miller -- her songs always make me smile. My story -- I was asked by a friend a couple of years ago to make a twin quilt -- I asked who it was for what it should look like, etc. I she had some specifics in colors, fabrics, etc, then told me it had to be heavily quilted because it was to replace the quilt her son used on the garage floor when he was working on his car -- the one he had from Walmart wore out too fast. Needless to say, I said I would not make the quilt -- she was not happy.
To quote Jeff Foxworthy - “Well du u uh....” “the Walmart ones fall apart too fast”....stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 AM

I used to make and donate a queen size quilt to our church each year for the fall bazaar raffle. One year I made a red, white and blue queen size...it was very popular and raised over $1500. One of the members did not win so asked me to make one for her son in law. I was feeling generous so I quoted her the price for all the fabric batting and long arm quilting. I would donate my time. Told her $600 should cover it. She got a deer in the headlights look and changed the subject!

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I thought it would be fun to share stories of all the ridiculous, impossible quilt requests we all get from time to time, so we can all enjoy the laughs.
My "magic wand story" -

Last weekend, my DSister was packing to go to Texas to be with my DN when she gives birth to her little Emily. This was on Wednesday, and she was leaving on Sunday. In the middle of all the crazy that goes with packing for what might be an extended trip, she looks at me, smiles, and says "I would love to take a hand made quilt for Emily, could you whip one up before I go?" My next line really was "sure, just let me get my magic wand." I did end up taking one of my favorite "gifted by a fellow quilter" quilts off my wall (it has butterflies made with fairy frost fabric) , and after washing it, and adding a label to identify the maker, sent it with her. Three days and a wake up for a quilt? Really? Some of you could have done it, but I will never be that quick.

What "let me get my magic wand" moments have you had?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:52 AM

I started quilting 45 years ago and everyone of these things has happened to me. About 10 years in, I repaired a baby quilt for a woman who had bought a large quilt from me. One of my friends reported that she was bragging about getting the little quilt repaired and someone asked who was doing the work. Her reply was that she had a woman in town that sewed for her.

I stopped working on it and returned it to her as a gift for her baby. Later she asked me to repair another quilt. Guess what my answer was.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=K-Roll;7543249]Question: when making quilts for charity, does anyone writing off the donation(s) on their taxes? Just curious!

I know that monetary donations and other gifts to charity are deductible. ] end quote

I hadn't thought of that. I know if you donate a painting to an art museum, you can deduct the current market value of that item.

My dad spent his last years in a nursing home owned by a religious organization. They had about 25 Salvadore Dali prints in the hall. When I saw them, my first thought was, "Yeah, and I bet those are real". Also, they say that's why many municipal art museums end up with both fake and worthless paintings.

I wonder if you can donate the current value of your quilt? Hypothetically, all you would need is the recipient organization to appraise it and give you a receipt.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 12-20-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

This thread is so funny! I can't believe how clueless some people are. I have no stories to tell....... so far!
I have a real problem with those imported quilts. They are usually made with "slave labor".