Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it just me? >
  • Is it just me?

• Is it just me?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 AM

No - it's not just you. I would love to be able to sew for long stretches every day. For a few years, when my son was small, I wasn't working outside the home and was able to sew during his nap time. With working full time and other obligations, I don't sew very much during the week, but I do something quilt related for 15 to 30 minutes every day - gathering fabrics, cutting, reading, etc. It's amazing how much can be accomplished in a short period of time. I discovered that by doing the preparation work during the week, I'm able to sew for 4 -5 hours at a time on weekends. I also knit while watching the news in the evening. I suffer "separation anxiety" if I am not creating just a teeny bit every day.
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 AM

No you are not alone, as I sew when I can and may go weeks without being able to. I work full-time and my sewing area is cold as it's in the basement, and the heater doesn't get it very warm. Someday will have an actual sewing room that is insulated and functional all year round. Penny McKee
    Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM

There are 3 things necessary before I do any sewing: when I have time, when I'm in the mood, & when I'm not sick. That amounts to probably about 1/3 of the days in each year, a little more if I'm lucky. Also, I have health issues so cannot sew for very many hours on those sewing days, so even a "quick" quilt is not quick for me.
    Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 AM

I don't sew everyday, I could if I want but I also like to knit. So I do a few days knitting and a few sewing, all depends on the mood I'm in...lol
    Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Yeah! you're not alone on finding the time. I have my two youngest grandchildren this morning Kyle is 5 and Rachael is 3. They sure make days busy and enjoyable. They like to help with handing out pins or watching when I do sew.
    Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 AM

I sew several hours (like 4-5) every day but my children are grown and my husband just retired and I can clean at midnight if I want to. All fabric looks brighter in daylight, so I figure, why not? Seriously, I love, love, love to create and I can look out my big window out into the nearby birdhouses and woods and watch nature at the same time. What a great time of life!!! I wouldn't go back for anything!! This is sheer and utter contentment.
    Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    I don't sew every day even though I'm at home. Some days there is too much going on with the kids - some days my back isn't up to sitting at the machine or leaning over a table cutting and basting. I wish I got more sewing done, especially when I see all that some others are doing. But - I can only do the best I can, and admire the work of others!
    same here :cry: ..... then seems like I try to make up for it all in one day :-( .....
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 AM

I wish I could sew every day! I have too many things going on and can't get to it. I don't think it counts if I think about sewing everyday and go by the sewing room drooling... :)
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM

I don't get to sew everyday - my back won't take it, and I try to volunteer at our Senior Center. Wish I could sew more, also.
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 AM

If my house would stop falling apart I could sew everyday!!! We bought the money pit!!!